Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a small bit of what looks like helicopter tape just in front of the rear wheel arches.
Non stop mud and pressure washing made one side fall off; can we buy replacement tape in the right shape?

·
Registered
437 Posts
You never know - might be cheaper than you thought? I spent ages trying to find a bit of piping to repair my MX-5's power steering - in the end I went to the dealer expecting the worst! Under £10! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Paint protection film costs peanuts and there's loads on the likes of Ebay. It's better to buy the type with backing paper so you can cut to shape and then peel to expose the adhesive side.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve put loads of bikes before and the bike rack on the van needed it for the anchor points. But it’s always a faff to cut and apply; I always seem to get bubbles!

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I’ve put loads of bikes before and the bike rack on the van needed it for the anchor points. But it’s always a faff to cut and apply; I always seem to get bubbles!
easy solution, mix up about a tablespoon of dish soap to a couple of cups of water in a pump spray bottle. Remove adhesive backing, spray with soap / water mix so its pretty wet (running off is ok, but it takes longer to dry fully) and then apply to the surface and smooth out with a stiff straight edge from the centre (stuff cardboard, or a proper sign application plastic scraper) A debit card works well also.
This allows a bit of "slip" so you can lift and reposition, or to slide it around while applying. Using the card pushes the water and soap out and leaves it bubble free. Will take 24-48 hrs for it to reach max adhesion but this is how the sign guys apply vinyl to cars and UV film to windows with no bubbles.

Reactions: Kernowlad

·
Registered
506 Posts
There’s a small bit of what looks like helicopter tape just in front of the rear wheel arches.
I am not sure what this is - I don't see any on mine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It’s quite hard to see but it’s clear tape about 6 inches square in front of the rear wheel arches.
Might not come on all models?
Well if it is like I think it is then black Duck tape - I mean real genuine Duck tape as opposed to duct tape - might be the route I'd take.
My secondary suggestion depends on whether or not the area we are discussing is taking a beating on the coastal trips. I would likely put Hammerite underseal on; the one that has Waxoyl in it. Mask off maybe and spray or brush!! It takes a few days to dry and gives a good and glossy hard protection.
I'll take a look when I next walk past Agnes and see what's what.

Reactions: Kernowlad

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have carefully inspected the area and not a single mark of chip; typically there is a chip just above where the tape is as though.
TBH I’ll probably leave it and Chipex it if I need to.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have carefully inspected the area and not a single mark of chip; typically there is a chip just above where the tape is as though.
TBH I’ll probably leave it and Chipex it if I need to.
Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess he means this piece of tape, it´s the same color as the body, you don´t notice it, unless you´re looking for it, i´m from mexico, but according to the dealer, the car was exported from japan, so i guess it´s the same in models from asia

·
Registered
506 Posts
I guess he means this piece of tape, it´s the same color as the body, you don´t notice it, unless you´re looking for it, i´m from mexico, but according to the dealer, the car was exported from japan, so i guess it´s the same in models from asia
View attachment 95448
Oh yes I see it and now I know where to look. If the bodywork where it was is sound I'd not bother to replace it.
Great pic thanks. I see the much talked about Ecopia tyres.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think it is worth leaving!
One side is fine, the other gradually peeled off, probably from being blasted with my pressure washer. I’ll just leave it like that; although the difference in weight on each side might affect the handling? ??

·
Registered
506 Posts
One side is fine, the other gradually peeled off, probably from being blasted with my pressure washer. I’ll just leave it like that; although the difference in weight on each side might affect the handling? ??
LOL
Do you only clean one side. lol
I expect the side that has come of is kerbside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts