Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've got a '96 Samurai that I'd like to fit a roof rack onto. I go surfing heaps and would like to take more boards and people as well as any other luggage I might need for longer trips.

I've also got a fibreglass two piece hard top that is slightly raised at the back. I'd ultimately like to get a cartop.com hardtop but they're a bit pricey!

The roof rack places I've been to suggest two racks fitted onto the fibreglass but I'm sure that wouldn't be very strong and they're $200 bucks each, so I thought I would be able to get something better.

The Calmini ones cost about $500 but I emailed them and they don't have the clearance for my hard top.

I live in Manly, Sydney and I've seen at least three Suzukis with custom type roof racks that look seriously sturdy and I've even left my details on the windscreen but noone's replied so far. I also saw one that was a custom rack with a basket in Rushcutter's Bay and spoke to the guy but he had picked it up second hand from a Vitara owner and actually had 2 (one for each of his suzukis) but was holding onto them.

Does anyone know the best solution for strong roof rack to be fitted onto a suzuki samurai with a fibreglass hard top??

Or know where to get a custom one made up?

I'd really appreciate any help..

Thanks,

Olivia

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
being an avid surfer myself, I would recommend that you use soft racks. A hard rack on the fiberglass top is going to require drilling, mounting, and sealing. Then the stress of the load and the wind against it will all be placed on the mounting points of the rack unless you strap your load to hard points on the vehicle. In order to properly mount a rack on a fiberglass top, you would need a sturdy rail system to distribute the weight over a larger area of the top. On a two piece top, that means your rail will be about 1/2 meter long, kind of pointless.

Soft racks are perfect for keeping the board off of the surface of the top, but don't damage your structural integrity. You will still need hard mounts on the vehicle for tie downs for your surfboard though. The step bar/trailer hitch mount under the rear bumper is a good mounting point for a rear strap and is easily fitted with an eyelet. The front strap can go around the door jambs and meet together inside the vehicle.

Don't use a hard mount on your roof unless the top is reinforced for it, and you can use the whole length of the roof line for your rail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi Baratacus,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to drill into the fibreglass as you say and soft tops are allright for boards but not much else. I was hoping to fabricate something like the one above. I've got one quote for 4grand australian which is outrageous. To order the one above is 550 or so for the rack and 680 to ship!

I was just hoping there might be an cheaper solution.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah the soft racks are pretty much for boards only. You might get a luggage pod that you can lash down or something similar. Otherwise you that picture you posted is probably the only way your going to get a structurally sound rack up top.

Low range off road makes a nice one that looks a lot better than the comperably priced calmini one. Pluss you can remove your hard or soft top without removing the rack.

Shipping to australia is a killer. Too bad you don't have local shops that can build this stuff for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one looks awesome. I like the idea of being able to take off the roof when I want without having to dismantle the roof rack too.

I've emailed Low-Range Off Road and so hopefully we can arrange something for a good shipping deal.

Thanks for your help mate!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if I could afford it, I'd buy one for you! I drive a Samurai though, so obviously I can not afford it. ;) Always glad to lend a hand to a kindred spirit. My samurai and my surfboard are my two most cherished posessions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
id LOVE a rack like that second one... however id like one thats easy to remove and doesnt leave big easily visible holes in the car

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Just about any exo cage type rack system for the convertible top samurai is going to require drilling. The tin top samurai has a couple bolt on options where you don't have to drill. Holes are easily plugged with a screw or cap and can be made to look like they were supposed to be there. I've got a few "extra" holes in my rig and plastic press-in body pannel rivets seem to be perfect hole covers for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm into it. I'll just leave it on the whole time. I've been making things out of scavenged wood and keep coming across wood by the side of the road and strapping it to the roof, which is a bit sketchy.

board and car- about as good as inanimate objects can get.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It looks a lot like the calmini rack, but with a little more clearance. The problem that the original poster is coming up against is the cost of fabrication in Australia. All of the shops they looked into were super overpriced. 4 grand australian... YIKES! Some welding skills would make for good income over there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks just exactly like the one from Low Rang Off Road- warrior safari roof racks.
I've emailed them to see if they'll ship to Australia but haven't heard back yet. I'm away for work so will try and call them when I get home.

looks like jaunty has lots of toys. I'm stoked to see there are so many people who love their zook as much as I do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was thinking about making one that could bolt together that would be it very easy to ship and light since its aluminum. I think all the vendors racks are steel. gotta get the pops on board though, since hes the welder!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was thinking about making one that could bolt together that would be it very easy to ship and light since its aluminum. I think all the vendors racks are steel. gotta get the pops on board though, since hes the welder!
yeah, if you aren't bashing it against rocks or using it for an anchor point for your winch, you don't really need it to be steel for hauling gear. A bolt together would be tricky though, unless you were sleeving the area you drilled through for bolting, it would have some pretty weak spots where the parts come together. Definitely would take some extra planing to pull it off right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Light is good as I've only really been 4wding it on sand.

Jaunty-if you'd be up for making one let me know how much it would cost etc and that would be awesome. If you did make one that didn't bolt I could probably get the sections welded together here.
No worries if not.

cheers :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm Tyler from Cartop.

Hi Olivia. I work at Cartop, thanks for checking out our roof racks.

The best thing about our site, for me, is that you can write your questions in for a free custom quote. It effectively gets you to the company's owner ,Darren Bush, who is as honest as anybody on the planet. Just tell what your price range is and other considerations in the "anything else you would like to tell us" field and we will take care of you. We are mostly canoe and kayak people but Darren has been selling & installing all Yakima & Thule for about 20 years.

Thanks again & sorry to crash this conversation, hopefully I could help you though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts