Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching around this forum and on Google for a similar problem, I think my heater core is leaking. There was a puddle of water (or water/coolant combo?) on the driver's side only. I dried it out for a few days, ran the AC again, and notice the wetness started from the center hump (is that the right term?) of the driver's side onto the floor, which started getting wet again. I'm hoping that it's just maybe the condenser drain plugged up? But I doubt it, it's getting wet fairly fast on the driver's side floor and noticed my coolant reservoir is empty.

So you think it's the heater core? At 16 years old and 280,000 miles I'm not sure I want to do this job myself or is it worth paying to get this repaired, only if I really want to keep extending the car (it also has upper and lower oil pan leaks and valve cover leaks). I know I've been thinking of getting rid of this car for the past 8 years now lol, but it truly looks like I've hit the end of the road. I'm going to try and stay in the Suzuki family by finding a Grand Vitara.

If I decide to get it fixed, how far can I drive it on a leaking heater core? I'd like to make it to a shop that's about 10-15 miles away. TIA

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
If it has a small leak, that trip should not be an issue..

If you are really concerned and have an extended trip, just bypass the heater under the hood.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
When you say dried it out for a few days does this mean you were still driving it, if so the heater core should have still been leaking as the coolant flows through it regardless. If it was only getting wet with the AC on I'd certainly be checking the drain.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say dried it out for a few days does this mean you were still driving it, if so the heater core should have still been leaking as the coolant flows through it regardless. If it was only getting wet with the AC on I'd certainly be checking the drain.
Well not quite. I left the windows open and ran a small fan over it in the garage the past five days, was fairly dry. I started the car, I should have waited longer, but then I ran the AC after a few seconds, then it felt it started getting wet. So I don't know if it was the AC or really leaking. Just to be sure, I'll check the drain and suction it out before I make further conclusions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
A clogged evaporator drain will wet the passenger side floor and nowhere near the transmission tunnel - it also has the potential to fill the ECU (which is under the glove box) with water and destroy it

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic after I dried out the area then ran the car again, as you can see where I circled in red where the moisture starts collecting, at the bottom of the transmission hump. So that pretty much spells the heater core right?
xl7heatercoreleak.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts