Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 05 Reno started leaking water. Took it to Crooked pep boys. They diagnosed a busted heater hose and quoted over $500 to repair!! It goes from the heater core to the engine, and the bypass.

Said the hose was a special molded piece that cost over $70 and 3 hours labor to replace at $115 an hour!

I've looked at the diagram they gave him and the hose appears to be 3 pieces with a T fitting. The pep boy guy says it's one molded piece and that's why it cost so much. I'm 6 hours away from him and can't see it. I think it's simply 3 pieces of 5/8" heater hose but not sure.

Anybody have any experience with this hose or know of a reputable place in Nashville TN that will fix it?

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
No experience whatsoever - but - I did look it up and my diagram shows what appears to be 3 hoses a tee and half a dozen hose clips - just like you describe.

If it were my car I'd be buying whatever diameter heater hose, cutting it to length and fitting it - the bends appear to be quite gradual.

Like I say, no experience with a Reno, but I have replaced heater hoses on other cars, just like I describe

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Dealer sourced...

COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / HOSES & LINES / Heater hose
Heater hose inlet
Online Price
$27.46
View Part Diagram -- Item #6

COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / HOSES & LINES / Heater hose
Heater hose outlet
Online Price
$7.97
View Part Diagram -- Item #7

2005 Suzuki Reno Parts - Lehman Suzuki Parts Center

RockAuto DOES show a funky shaped "Bypass" hose for $9.00 bucks...

2005 SUZUKI RENO Bypass Hose

I presume that this is all under-hood (verses under-dash) work, so the labor IMO would be closer to 1 hour ish, although I don't know the specific amount of interference removal / re-installation effort involved here.

If nothing else, take solace in the fact that he didn't toast the engine from lack off coolant. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The last time ( and I mean EVER) I let a repair shop replace a hose: My little 1994 Nissan Sentra had a hose leak on the top hose. It was RIGHT THERE ON TOP! They tried to charge me $150. :mad:

The hose was only a foot long with two clamps! I almost jerked the guy over the counter on that one. We both went out to the car and looked. He looks at me and ask "what do you think you should pay?". So I paid him $20 and never went back there again.

BTW.... that is a funky little thermostat. When I replaced mine recently; it had a fair amount of pitting. Like it was sacrificial anode or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts