Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a strange problem. On the right side of the car, the passenger side, the heat blows out of the ventilation. But in the middle, left the air blows only cold.
We have had the car in for maintenance but the can't solve this issue.

I found some drawings of the ventilation-system and on that I can't see a valve separating left from right, so the hot air should go to both sides.

I have plans to get a small camera on a wire and put it in the air-ducts to see if I can see the valves working.
Can anyone help me to figure out where the problem is and what can be done about it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
838 Posts
What car, year, model, trim, mileage, AWD? Manual or auto trans? Location ? Depending on trim, HVAC can be manual or auto...Write all of that in your profile/signature so we know each time. if we do not know details, replies can be irrelevant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What car, year, model, trim, mileage, AWD? Manual or auto trans? Location ? Depending on trim, HVAC can be manual or auto...Write all of that in your profile/signature so we know each time. if we do not know details, replies can be irrelevant.
Thanks for the advice, filled in the info in my signature.
And the HVAC is the manual one.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Glad it is a manual HVAC...much simpler to diagnose. Look here:
www.avigex.ca/sx4/heater.pdf
WHen you say "passenger side" and "middle", these are the vents along the dashboard?...then what happens to the left side ? ALl of the air is heated at once, then diverted to the various outlets....it is possible some ducts are colder initially than others....but should eventually come to the air temperature...does that condition continue after several minutes ? There are few traps and controls here, all mechanically controlled....does athat happen when the AC is operating ? NOtice that wjhen defrost or part defrost is chosen, AC is ON..except if outside temperature is below 0° ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked at that drawing to and I agree with you, all air goes thru the same heating core.
Yes the "passenger side" and "middle" are to vents along the dashboard.
The hot air comes out on the right side, passenger side.
The middle and left blows cold air.
The condition is the same no matter how long we test. Even after one hour of driving, hot on the right and cold everywhere else. It should be number "5-Right" on the drawing on page 7A-2.
The AC is off, but I've seen no difference when it's on, still cold and hot as before.
The defrost has been off. We haven't had below 0 degrees cellsius yet.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I could think the "temperature control door", #20, does not totally close the "bypass", so some air does not go through the heater core. THis should only mean the total air would be a bit colder, but it is possible that the bypass air has a favorable passage towards the center and right outlets.....which means the "temperature cable" would have to be reajusted so the trap totally closes the bypass, so all the air goes through the heater core.
What happens to the floor outlets ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply.
I tried to look inside the outlets with a camera, but the field of view was to narrow for me to see anything.
I have now removed as much as I can of the interior and left it at a mechanic who will remove the whole "air"-package.
Will take a week until he had time to do it. Hopefully he will find something wrong.
Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have a possible reason for why the air isn't hot everywhere. The mechanic took out the heater and ordered a new one. I wanted to know if that really was the problem... so I took it apart. Looks like the hot water only flowed on the right side. And I guess the other mess is leftover Bars Leak.

·
Registered
838 Posts
ok...that is the heater core.....well, obviously clogged. Logical explanation to your poroblem, indeed. . THis brings into question... why? I do not remember seeing in which conditions you got this car. New..or used ? BUt obviously, the coolant has not been not a nice clean liquid at least for some time.....in addition, it seems to be clogged on the air side too....have oyu paid a visit to the intake air filter..behjind the glove box? IN one occasion, mine had been invaded by mice.....

·
Registered
838 Posts
By the way......I never use..would never use Bars Leak of the like of leak patching cococtions...if they can block a leak...they will block everything else too....there is no intelligence in those products....I'd be afraid of the condition of the radiator too.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.. we had the radiator changed a while back. It leaked and I tried Bars Leak. It was a hot summer day and I remember driving around with the heater on as the instructions said. It didn't work that long until it started leaking again. Then they changed the whole radiator. Then we got some problem with the AC not working at all. So I guess the reason why this is clogged... is my own.. hrm... My only hope is that when the new one is installed everything will work. I don't know about the AC though. As I understand it is a separate system?
The car is bought new, always in the garage, and no mice around :)
I have checked the intake filter and that was clean.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah..the A/C heat exchanger is separate....as well as all the plumbing...the reason why it would not work is something else.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts