Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my low-beam headlights staying in DRL mode. My understanding is that on GV 06 low beams are supposed to have two brightness modes - one for DRL and one for low beam. Either in auto mode or by manually switching between DRL and low beam the lights stay at DRL brightness level. Has anyone encountered such behaviour or knows what could cause that?

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
What do you do to manually switch between DRL & low beam?
Usually turning headlight switch to on at the stalk disables the drl function and means the lights stay on at key off.
I'm not sure on the Canadian market ones, but the JDM market ones we get here they only have one brightness setting.

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
As far as I know the JDM ones don't have DRLs, at least the ones I've seen don't, they were all HID low beam - and in this particular case, it IS the Canadian market ones that I'm interested in.

Read that first post again ...

My understanding is that on GV 06 low beams are supposed to have two brightness modes - one for DRL and one for low beam
It's entirely possible that Alex K's vehicle is functioning as designed, which may not be what he expects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for your responses. The car was originally imported from US. It's a 2006 4dr Auto 4WD Luxury if this information helps. The owner's manual does describe dual brightness settings (on mine, it's on pages 3-5 to 3-8). When switching between modes (either manually or on auto) the correct indicators appear on the instrument panel; however, no changes in lighting are observable.

Font Publication Paper Document Parallel

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
So now let me ask the question again ...

What do you do to manually switch between DRL & low beam?

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, why not let him answer? Believe me, there IS a specific reason I'm asking the question.

Does your car have DRLs?

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, why not let him answer? Believe me, there IS a specific reason I'm asking the question.

Does your car have DRLs?
Yep, mine has it built in and I can activate it in the bcm, it just turns the lights on at normal brightness with the key.
Because I dont like running incandescent lamps all the time I disabled it and fitted led drls to save fuel.

·
Registered
826 Posts
As an owner of a Canadian 2006 GV I can confirm there are two different brightness levels. The normal low beams are brighter than the DRL, but only very, very slightly. The difference is extremely subtle, hard to detect with the naked eye. When I first acquired the vehicle I thought the two levels were the same, until I measured the difference with a light meter. The difference is there, but not sure why Suzuki bothered though.

The DRL come on during the day if the switch is set to AUTO or OFF. If the ambient light level is low or at night the normal low beams replace the DRL with the switch set to AUTO. If the low beams are turned on manually at anytime the DRL are disabled. The two different warning lights in the instrument cluster indicate which is on when.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts