Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok IDK if this has ever been discussed but this is getting real old. So We have had this car for several years and at least yearly I have to replace the low beam headlights, both sides. Has anyone else had issues with the high consumption of headlights? And it is not like we do an abundance of night driving there is no water in the housing, and I'm not touching the glass. Getting old replacing the drivers side! Thanks in advance! BTW it is a 10 SE. And I am replacing with different grades of Sylvania bulbs without a difference in longevity.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
This was discussed on another forum- I did some checking and found the voltage to the headlight bulbs isn't regulated to the ideal level for bulb life which is quoted as 13.2V. Some other vehicles have specific voltage regulators built for the headlights, the Kizashi appears to just rely on the alternator's regulator which results in voltages around 14V being fed to the headlight bulbs.

Service life and light efficiency among other things strongly depend on the supply voltage used.
Therefore, protective resistors are used in some vehicle types to ensure that the supply voltage doesn’t exceed 13.2 V. On the other hand, undervoltage, e.g. due to a defective generator, means exactly the opposite. The light now has a considerably higher red fraction and thus light efficiency is lower.
Rule of thumb: If the supply voltage of a bulb is increased by 5%, then the luminous flux increases by 20%, but at the same time service life is halved
http://www.hella.com/hella-za/assets/media_global/HASA_Bulbs_Catalogue_2012_LRes.pdf

I measured 13.95V at the low beam bulb plug of my Kizashi - with the engine idling. That voltage could get even higher when the engine revs increase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that makes some sense but still don't buy it 100%. Even if the life expectancy was 50% because of the higher voltage. that would mean the bulbs should only last 2 years at 13.2 volts? I don't buy it, my 06 Ford f150 has the original bulbs in it with more miles. Having to replace bulbs every 2 years is still way to often. But I do appreciate the reply! And to know I am not the only one with this issue! I am just glad I have the ability to replace the bulbs on my own VS having to shell out hundreds to get the replaced as I was quoted before I figured out how to do it. I don't know what my wife will do if I am unable to do the work.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It's a widespread problem on a lot of vehicles (not just Kizashi's)- try doing some Googling ;) . Like I mentioned, a few manufacturers actually incorporate voltage regulators to reduce the voltage fed to the halogen bulbs - they wouldn't bother putting that extra component in if there wasn't some sort of worthwhile benefit to it.

A 5% increase to 13.2V would equal 13.86V - so the Kizashi is above the level where the bulb life is 50% reduced. Don't forget that voltage was at idle too- the alternator won't reach it's peak output until the engine revs are higher.

Other things, like switching the bulb on/off more often will also shorten it's life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is there a test to see what brand offers the best bang for the buck on longevity of the bulbs? I'd hate for something to happen to me and she have to pay $800 a year for someone to replace the light bulbs on that car! Also is there a good place online to order body parts and plastics for the Kiz? all the plastic underneath if busting apart as well as the bumper is starting to fatigue and crack from being removed so much. Without having to go to the dealer. getting ready to drop a grand for an alternator with them since it is the only place to get one :(

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
What LED kit did you use and how doe the light output compare?

I've seen a couple that had large fans/ heatsinks meaning you have to modify the headlight or leave the rear unsealed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed the heat sink. The one I used was from an LED site with a huge cylindrical heat sink. It is removable. It screws on to the back of the light source. So far I've had no issues. I would have liked more light output. 1900 lumens isn't bad but it probably needs better positioning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LED's are overheating now and failing. When you first turn them on the shine brightly but then slowly fade away as they heat up. Not sure if heat is indeed what is causing them to fail. Going to HID's.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think you'd be right about the heat killing them. High power LED's need decent heatsinks to keep their operating temperatures within safe limits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you'd be right about the heat killing them. High power LED's need decent heatsinks to keep their operating temperatures within safe limits.
When I removed the LED's the wires were melting a bit due to the heat. It's relatively cold here in Northeastern United States. So the removal of the heat sinks which did not fit into the vehicle caused overheating. HID's have been great so far. Much brighter!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very short bulb life

I've got two Kizashi's - My wifes is a 2012 SLS Sport AWDwith 30k miles and has original bulbs... Mine is a 2014 SLS Sport AWD and I get failed low-beem bulbs at least one side or the other at about the 3 month mark... I drive a bit more than her (I'm at 55k)... Using higher end bulbs, lost track of the brand and I just did them again last week....

Love the car, hate changing bulbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts