Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1991 model Suzuki Vitara JLX soft top model. I have no high or low beam on my left headlight. I figure ill switch out the halogen bulb and see if thats the issue however it seems that these headlights werent made for bulb removal, Do i need to purchase an entire headlight or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
"1991 model Suzuki Vitara JLX"

Headlights like this?

If so, there should be a locking ring on the back of the headlight about 2 inches in diameter. This is reached from inside the engine bay, and no tools are required. Disconnect the electrical connector, turn the lock ring and the bulb should be free, Note the orientation of the bulb as it is keyed to go in only one way. Reverse to install the new bulb.

Do not touch the glass of the new bulb as the oils on your fingers can reduce the life of the bulb.

·
Super Moderator
13,760 Posts
Bulbs are replaceable, but before you swap the bulb, check the fuses, Suzuki fuses the headlights separately, so a blown fuse will only shut down one headlamp, and it will shut down both high & low beams at the same time - it is a little unusual to have both high & low beam filaments in the bulb fail simultaneously.

Please note - Mike's description of the lamp is correct for a Sidekick (the North American version of the Vitara), but may not be for your car, the lights on a Sidekick look like those of a Vitara, but may actually be different as the US market has different lighting requirements.

What you may find is a large circular rubber cover on the back of the lamp - this should have a flat pull tab on it - unplug the connector (which may be quite tight) and pull the tab, you may need to work the cover off as they sometimes stick - once you have the cover off, there should be a wire bail that has to be unlatched and lifted, allowing the bulb to be removed.

As Mike has warned, avoid touching the glass of the bulb with your fingers.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
... the lights on a Sidekick look like those of a Vitara, but may actually be different as the US market has different lighting requirements.

What you may find is a large circular rubber cover on the back of the lamp ....
I have learned something today.

9am and I have met my quota! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts