Suzuki Forums banner

Headlight Alarm stopped working

7K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  fordem 
#1 ·
Hi All,
The wife's 2004 Grand Vitara 3 Door 1600cc Petrol UK Right Hand Drive version, "Headlight On" alarm has stopped working.
Can anyone please tell me what it looks like and where to find it?
Is this a "classic fault" and something that happens all the time? I searched this forum for "headlight alarm" and got a huge number (too many) of results.
I did download the Chassis Electrical Manual from the website listed in this forum but at 725 pages and the seach not working and no apparent "Contents" section I'm floundering here. :(
Thanks,
Andy.

#2 ·
The alarm itself is a little circuit board mounted on the upper left corner of the back of the instrument panel cluster, and is in my opinion, not likely to be where the problem lies.

Start by checking the door switch - does the interior light come on when the driver's door is opened, or when any of the other doors are opened?

#3 ·
Hi fordem,
Thanks for the reply. The Drivers Door Switch wasn't working but I flicked it repeatedly and now it is. I'll dismantle and make it reliable soon. The Interior Light also comes on.
Unfortunately this hasn't affected the "headlights on" alarm not working.

Andy.

#5 ·
Hold on a moment fordem!

It would seem I don't have a fully working Drivers Door Switch. It only makes a brief contact, enough to trigger the Interior Light system but it doesn't make a continuous contact, which is why the alarms don't work.

If I hold the switch away from the line of operation, it then makes a full, continuous, contact, and both the alarms work!! I'd take the switch out and take it to pieces but it's getting dark here and the prospect of irreplaceable bits pinging off into the darkness fills me with dread. I'll take it off tomorrow in the cold light of day.

One thing; there's absolutely no slack in the switch wiring. I've pulled on it as much as I dare but no more slack materialises. Can I get to the wiring by taking the pillar trim off please?
Many thanks
Andrew.

#6 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.
My take on the 2003-2005 is the alarm is part of the BCM.
I also have my drivers door switch not always work. When this happens in the daytime I don't notice the interior light not working but it won't lock (with remote) when I try, as it thinks I haven't got out !!
Mine also has sod all slack on the cable, so I also didn't remove as I thought I don't know if I could get it back on. I just ping the switch and sometimes it will work perfect for weeks. When I did try removing it, once I got the rubber cover off it looked like new. Stupid thing ;)

#8 ·
Hi Darrell,
Thank you for the Welcome and the schematic, both much appreciated!!
You say it won't lock; is that with the Remote Locking, not the physical key? Reason for asking is that our Remote Locking is sporadic; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if the switch is also causing this problem for us? If so I've now got 4 reasons for getting it to work.
I took the rubber cover off mine too earlier this evening, and yes, mine looks like new too, but as it's 12 years old I suppose I should have some tolerance. I expect there's absolutely no chance of getting a new replacement. I suppose I could swap it for the Passenger side door switch. After all it's had little use in comparison.

#9 ·
Hi Darrell,
Thank you for the Welcome and the schematic, both much appreciated!!
You say it won't lock; is that with the Remote Locking, not the physical key? Yes,just the remoteReason for asking is that our Remote Locking is sporadic; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if the switch is also causing this problem for us? I bet it is If so I've now got 4 reasons for getting it to work.
I took the rubber cover off mine too earlier this evening, and yes, mine looks like new too, but as it's 12 years old I suppose I should have some tolerance. I expect there's absolutely no chance of getting a new replacement.I believe you can still get them. I suppose I could swap it for the Passenger side door switch. After all it's had little use in comparison.
That simple switch caused me a lot of hassle to work out why It wouldn't lock with the remote sometimes :wacko:

#10 ·
I believe Darrell is right - I was just looking at the diagrams and a 2004 should have the later style dash and the body control module, in which case the buzzer is in the BCM and not in the back of the instrument panel.

I don't think that really matters though, because it sounds like the fault has been located, and right where I though it was - the driver's door switch.

Yes, you should be able to get more slack by removing the pillar trim, at least I can, but my car is an older (98) five door, so it's slightly different - sometimes the two parts of the switch make contact, but corrosion on the inside of the door jamb prevents the body of the switch from making a proper electrical contact - a little wire brush and some CRC should take care of it

#11 ·
Gents (assuming you both are?), thank you for your help and patience, both very much appreciated!!:D

I'm of to get broken fingernails, sliced skin on my knuckles and pulled muscles in my neck and back as I writhe upside down in the back seat trying to get at the wiring harness and fix the switch.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

#12 ·
Well, after the usual struggling and injuries associated with working in a car, I repaired the switch, and lo:
"Headlights on" Alarm working
"Keys in" Alarm working
Remote Locking Working apparently reliably (time will tell)
Wife Happy! :D

Thank you both again very much!!
Cheers,
Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.