Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one experienced problems getting the headlights adjusted on a Reno? I have a 2005 Reno and have had it to the service department 3 times to adjust the headlights. It seems if they adjust the low beams to shine out enough then the high beams are shining up in the trees. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Put Silverstar bulbs in the lowers...you can't change the design of the headlamp housing which is what the problem is, but Silverstars help a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. The body shop has ordered a new headlight assembly, I'll let you know if it helps! I definitely see this as a safety hazard!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Headlamp Aiming

NOTE: Check, and adjust if necessary, headlamp aiming whenever a headlamp assembly is replaced or the vehicle is in a collision. If the headlamp cannot be properly adjusted, replace the headlamp. Refer to "Headlamps".

1. Open and support the hood.
2. Position the vehicle so that it is 7.63 m (25 ft.) from, and square to, a white wall or large screen in a dark area.
3. The vehicle should be parked on level ground and the vehicle axis should be pointed at the center line of the wall or screen.
4. Place a vertical piece of tape on either side of, and equal distance from, the center line of the wall. The distance between the two pieces of tape should be equal to the distance between the vehicle headlamps.
5. Place a horizontal piece of tape on the wall at a height equal to the height of the headlamps.
6. If the top edge is more than 102 mm (4 in.) above or below the horizontal (horizontal tape), adjust the vertical aim of the headlamps with a Phillips head screwdriver.
7. If the left edge is more than 102 mm (4 in.) to the left or the right of the straight ahead (vertical tape), adjust the horizontal aim of the headlamps with a Phillips head screwdriver.

Try this, I find most mechanics are clueless as how to adjust a head lamp.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i dont know about you guys, but theres only one adjustment on mine. just vertical and it adjusts both high and lows...mine are fine. i have the stock highs and i have krypton(green) HID lows. they arent as bright as they should be cuz we dont have HID voltages going to our headlights, but i havent had a problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
These are generic head light aiming instructions..if you need a nut driver use a nut driver, torx bit etc etc etc..some even have thumbwheels on the back of the head light.
Tallkid have you tried wiring in a relay for your headlights? You will get brighter lights with one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Headlight adjustment

Well I am back, the dealer replaced the left headlight assembly and guess what !! Nothing has changed. The headlights on low beam still only shine about 30 feet out from the front of the car. I am thinking about checking into the lemon law. We have had the car in the shop for this problem four times now. Not a happy Reno owner!!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
samson1150 said:
Well I am back, the dealer replaced the left headlight assembly and guess what !! Nothing has changed. The headlights on low beam still only shine about 30 feet out from the front of the car. I am thinking about checking into the lemon law. We have had the car in the shop for this problem four times now. Not a happy Reno owner!!
30ft should be far enough. I don't know how far other cars lights shine, but in my opinion 30ft is a good distance to have. If it was 15 to 20 then I can see where you are coming from. Unless there is some required distance farther than 30ft, I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
samson1150 said:
Wow, waving the lemon law around more often then a lawyer chases an anbulance! Chill, gees. Cant haveit perfect then we go and claimthe whole things bad. Sorry, my alignments not perfect either, but get over your self.
All I'm hearing is "Boo Hoo, the alignment isn't what I exspected, so it has to be broken. I'm sueing" Lemon law indeed. At this rate, I'll have to look into a lemon car. Might get one cheep that some discarded due to the heater taking to long to heat, or maybe cause it has a headrest thats stiff
jurupa said:
30ft should be far enough. I don't know how far other cars lights shine, but in my opinion 30ft is a good distance to have. If it was 15 to 20 then I can see where you are coming from. Unless there is some required distance farther than 30ft, I don't see the problem.
+1 Ifyou need to see farther, then high beams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Zipper, you are very understanding!

Hey Zipper, thanks for your comments regarding my problem, as I certainly appreciate your out spoken style, of trying to understand a problem.

Not that the Suzuki is a speed deamon, but with the head lights out of adjustment it is easy to over drive the lights, which can be a safety issue. Never had a problem like this in all my years of driving various American and foreign cars, so my impression of the Suzuki Corporation is very low.

Sorry to have been a bother to you,

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
samson1150 said:
Hey Zipper, thanks for your comments regarding my problem, as I certainly appreciate your out spoken style, of trying to understand a problem.

Not that the Suzuki is a speed deamon, but with the head lights out of adjustment it is easy to over drive the lights, which can be a safety issue. Never had a problem like this in all my years of driving various American and foreign cars, so my impression of the Suzuki Corporation is very low.

Sorry to have been a bother to you,
Well, no problem. :p
I cant see over driving my lights, and my left one is very much wall eyed. Might wanna try the highs, or posably trying silverstars.ALittle bit more then stock light bulbs,but they are brighter. Bulbplacment inside the assembly is a big deal.Its sencitive

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Zipper said:
Well, no problem. :p
I cant see over driving my lights, and my left one is very much wall eyed. Might wanna try the highs, or posably trying silverstars.ALittle bit more then stock light bulbs,but they are brighter. Bulbplacment inside the assembly is a big deal.Its sencitive
Speaking of the sivlerstars what part number fits our car?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I forget, H7 I think, but don't quote me on it. Ask some there. THeir parts catolog should have what light the car needs. As for alignment, I was looking at it my self
Inside, there the bulb goes, there is no adjustments, but there are two interesting large philips head scres on the back
Snapped some pics with the cameraq phone so forgive my lack of quality
Pic 1 Highbeam
Pic2 Lowbeam
Pic 3 Interesting screws

One of the screw, the inside one (inside=closest to the radiator) is uncovered. These scres, with their almost gear like appearance, also are accesible through holes next to the top mounting brackets when installed. This points me to beleive that they do align...
But heather its left and right, or up and down is unknown

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Zipper said:
I forget, H7 I think, but don't quote me on it. Ask some there. THeir parts catolog should have what light the car needs.
I went to the company site (Osram Sylvania) and was able to look up at what blubs our cars can use and got a nice list.

Low beam headlamp
H7
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: Up to 20% Brighter
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal
H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer

High beam headlamp
H7
H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer

Parking light
1157A
1157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
1157ALL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal
1157A

Rear turn signal
1156A
1156AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Tail light
1157LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light

License plate

Back up light
1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
1157A

Rear sidemarker

This is what I got when I looked up 2005 Reno. I would guess it would be the same for other years.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
We are a smart bunch.
I just found out that the black backing to the light, on the top where you can read it when the lights still in the car, has writing! (SOmetimes I'm so observent... :p )
H1 (12V 55W) over the highbeams H7 (12V 55W) over the lowbeams
Also, that interesting screw I was talking about. The one that looks like it can be moved while installed... It has U<------>D next to it
ANd guess what! It makes the whole assembly go up and down! Amazing!

On aside note, I had found that my silverstars where origonaly installed upside down. The left then had burt out, and was replaced, in the correct orientation. The left may not be walleyed, it might be that the right wasn't installed correct. I'm such a smart feller! The pic posted is the left, with propper orientation

Now that I have exhausted every brain cell on this complex equation, its time to go to work

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
jurupa said:
I went to the company site (Osram Sylvania) and was able to look up at what blubs our cars can use and got a nice list.

... High beam headlamp
H7
H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer...

This is what I got when I looked up 2005 Reno. I would guess it would be the same for other years.
The Highs on the Forenza H1 I would hazard a guess to say that where it says H7, replace with H1
Whats the difference in brightness between the Silverstars and the XtraVision

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Zipper said:
Whats the difference in brightness between the Silverstars and the XtraVision
I don't know. But is it worth getting the regular H7 or the H7 Cool Blue? Because on the Autozone website they are the same price, $14.99.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts