Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone a header to fit the 2.0 DOC engine in the Vitara? I have searched to no avail. I find them for other engines/models but not for this one.
My manifold has some cracks in it, so I will have to pull it off and repair it. I would prefer to replace it with a stainless header.

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
The only place I know that has those is Hurricane in Australia

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Has anyone a header to fit the 2.0 DOC engine in the Vitara? I have searched to no avail. I find them for other engines/models but not for this one.
My manifold has some cracks in it, so I will have to pull it off and repair it. I would prefer to replace it with a stainless header.
They are cast iron, can be welded with nickle rod, DC welder, reverse current (rod negative)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there friend I too have a 1999 Suzuki Vitara 2.0 L 5 speed I too need a exhaust manifold mine has two cracks does anyone know where I can get one or if the Geo Tracker manifold will fit my Suzuki it too is a 2.0?

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
There are no 2.0 Geo Trackers, however, there were 2.0 Chevrolet Trackers, and yes, the 2.0 Tracker header will fit a 2.0 Vitara.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you that's good news, it gives me a little more option when trying to find the exhaust manifold the 2.0 liter is a hard motor to find it seems LOL and parts to go with it thanks for the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not 100% but I believe it's cast iron if it's still I could weld that myself but I hear that the technique for cast iron take some knowledge further than I have in welding you have to get it super hot and from what I was told it's not really welding as much as it's raising and it only has about a 70% probability the hose working at least this is what I've Been Told steel would be great how can I tell the difference

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not 100% but I believe it's cast iron if it's still I could weld that myself but I hear that the technique for cast iron take some knowledge further than I have in welding you have to get it super hot and from what I was told it's not really welding as much as it's raising and it only has about a 70% probability the hose working at least this is what I've Been Told steel would be great how can I tell the difference
LOL it should say brazing

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
I can't comment on the Trackers, but Suzuki used three or four different exhaust manifolds available for the J20a as fitted to the Grand Vitara/Vitara - I doubt than any one of these were tubular steel - very few mass production manifolds are, cast iron is cheaper & lasts longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 1999 Tracker 2L has a cast iron header... and has a hairline crack between #3 and #4, not affecting the O2 yet..
The only thing I'm worried about is, with the cracks and the cold weather it would create a suction of cold air and I believe that's not good for the cylinder and I don't want to have to rebuild the motor

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
The only thing I'm worried about is, with the cracks and the cold weather it would create a suction of cold air and I believe that's not good for the cylinder and I don't want to have to rebuild the motor
exhaust is under pressure, very unlikely to get suction unless the cracks are big enough to see thru, then you still won't harm the engine apart from increasing the possibility of a burnt exhaust valve from lack of exhaust back pressure but the gap would be big enough to stick you finger thru.

Did i mention it would also be damn loud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lucky you, my exhaust manifold broke into two pieces. If it was just some cracks I would weld it up. Same results as far as finding a header, first choice. I even talked to Zuck and he let me know that eventually he will be producing them but that is in the future. His suggestion was new, $350.00, or wrecking yard, probably $300.00 the way supply and demand works.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
It's easy to tell steel from cast iron, just hit it with a hand held grinder, yellow sparks sputtering cast, a long stream of sparks - steel.
Sounds and looks different.

Don

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Lucky you, my exhaust manifold broke into two pieces. If it was just some cracks I would weld it up. Same results as far as finding a header, first choice. I even talked to Zuck and he let me know that eventually he will be producing them but that is in the future. His suggestion was new, $350.00, or wrecking yard, probably $300.00 the way supply and demand works.
What is keeping you from welding it? It is cracked, just a little longer..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ll check it tomorrow but I’m sure it’s cast. For cracks it’s easy, I tig with silicone bronze which is just higher tech brazing. I have a box of nickle rod for cast iron and I’ve used it for heavy stuff. If I decide to weld it I will post some photos of the project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts