Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wandering if any one can tell me whether I need to replace the head bolts when replacing the headgasket on an SJ413. Does it have Stretch Bolts????

I have recently replaced the gasket and skimmed the head and a week later it's drastically using water. Havn't looked under the bonnet yet but it's definatelly using water not loosing it!!
Any Help will be gratefully appriciated

Carol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, I have a SJ410, and have not replaced the bolts during the three times I had the head on and off. Not being an expert on it, I think that the technology like stretch bolts might be a bit newer than the Suzi's. I always check the torque settings on the bolts after a week's diving, and after 1000 km's again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you have a blown head gasket here are the signs and symptoms. Water could get in the engine oil it gets a milky look. So pull the dipstick and give it a look. oil can get into the radiator ans the radiator fluid would have an oily sheen. And if you had a really bad leak the radiator would just lose all the water.

So pull the dipstick and see what that looks like if it is milky it is possible you have blown the head gasket. Start the Car with the radiator cap off and look to see if bubbles or oil are coming out coolant and you would have a blown head gasket.

No you don't need stretch bolts. However, did you do the head work yourself? You see if the head is not cleaned to the shiny metal on both surfaces you would blow the gasket in short order. Also the head is not torqued to the correct specs in the correct order it will blow the gasket. If you doing the work yourself just post in the tread again and i will get the torqueing method and specs for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts