Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded to a 1.6L 8V this past week and I still dont have the power i expected. I cant maintain 55 on even a 2% grade in 5th. Down hill I can get 70mph tops. 1st-3rd feel strong but above that it gets weak.

My idle is an indicated 1100 rpm which is a little high so I set the timing a little advanced at 12 DBTC. Originally I was trying to drive with it retarded (3 DBTC, I forgot o adjust it) and it ran terrible, advancing it has made a big difference.

I dont have the VSS hooked up yet how much could that affect the engines performance?

Also, a sensor that is connected to the EGR valve didnt have anywhere to plug in on the harness. Could that be a cause?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Did you swap both the block and head, or just the block?

What 1.6L did you put in? There should be a G16? someone on the rear of the block on the driver side.

Have you run a dry and wet compression test on all cylinders. Low compression = low power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a complete 8V with the TBI, a G16A. I have not done a compression check yet, the engine has good power in the first 3 gears. Power doesnt seem to die off until i reach higher speeds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also, a sensor that is connected to the EGR valve didnt have anywhere to plug in on the harness. Could that be a cause? yup. check all your emissions are working properly.and ecu is in cloosed loop and all sensors are working correct too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buggers. Any idea where the sensor on the egr valve with the Red/Black and Black/Green wires goes to? I havent found it on any schematics yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
im hoping you used the wiring harness from the other car bcuz it will never work with the harness from the carb car.if you have the wiring from the donor car then just look up were it goes to.

·
Registered
293 Posts
See if you have a R/B and Gr/Y going to the ATS (Air temperature Sensor in the intake manifold.

The distributor should have a B/G, Bl/R, and Bl/B wires.

To save this image, right click on it and do a Save as.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine and harness are from different year vehicles. I have been told that the EGR temp sensor is not needed for my ECM. I do have a R/B and G/Y at the air temp sensor.
All the wires from my ECM harness are in use, except for the A/T and A/C wires.
I think it is time to go through the sensors one by one and check to make sure they are in spec. I will start with the TPS, seeing as how the problem seems to be throttle and load sensitive.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Did you have TBI before? if not what fuel pump and filter are you using and have you uprated the fuel return line?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I swapped a 1.3L carb engine for this one. Im using a e2000 pump and the stock style filter pre pump. I am using the stock return line with the restrictor removed. Sean at aftermarket 4X4 sys he runs them like that all the time without any problems.
The power is getting better and turning more into a surging thing, I am wondering if maybe the injector is dirty from sitting and getting cleaned as I go.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The stock filter isn't designed for high pressures, although the flow rates will be similar. I would fit an EFI filter instead and check the fuel pressure. Did you check the crankshaft pulley keyway before fitting the engine?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree the stock filter can't handle the pressure, but it is pre-pump so it isn't subjected to any. What type of problem are people having with the key way? Are you talking about the loosening of the crank sprocket bolt? I replaced all my exterior seals and gaskets while the engine was out, everything looked fine. It's running better every day, it is probably just gunk in the injector and valves. Maybe a touch to do with the vss not hooked up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts