Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Geo Tracker/8V/Manual & 1996 Geo Tracker/16V/Auto
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a rust free, stupidly clean, 1996 Geo Tracker 4 door with 140k miles. Some bozo did a head gasket job for one of the PO’s and it was a mess. Timing cover and was dug into the harmonic balancer, riding on the belt, and the top was hanging open.

Anyways, it blew up while we were test driving it, so I bought it for a good bit less than the previous agreed price.

My thought is to rebuild this motor. I’m pretty sure it spun a bearing. Problem is, there is no where to buy a new crank if needed. I’ve also not found anyone who really rebuilds these. Most just motor swap it and be done. Again, though, I’m not exactly swimming in used 1.6l’s in the rust belt.

I’d like to pick someone’s brain if they’ve tackled rebuilding these.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
625 Posts
My thought is that rebuilding it is a lot of time, and you might not know how bad things really are. It might end up being a rabbit hole. Finding a used engine might take time, but might be worth the wait. Another option, of course, is to make it someone else's problem, and get an entire new one -- there have been LOTS of great offers that have shown up lately around the US -- I'm talking around $1-2 grand. They might not be where you are, but a one-way plane ticket is not too expensive. Check EBAY. You will be surprised.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine is almost out, man.

I’ll try to hunt down a used engine and just do a swap. Definitely want a 16V. My 8V in my 91’ is weak.

No way I’m selling this one. It is in awesome shape.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've got to admit it -- I wouldn't get rid of it either. Make sure you have a good anti-theft system!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh, what did you say your address was????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got to admit it -- I wouldn't get rid of it either. Make sure you have a good anti-theft system!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh, what did you say your address was????
A good anti theft system? Buhahahahaha!

No one steals these turds where I’m at. They all think I’m crazy for loving these cars.

I’m going to hunt down an engine to swap in tomorrow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Overhauling the motor you have is an option. If the crank is bad, you are probably looking for a used motor to get a crank out of. With a proper overhaul, you have a motor that is good for many more miles and smiles!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Last 1.6, that I over hauled, was about 23yrs ago and is still running.. was supper cheap in those days, took me 2 days, in/out.. decked the head with sand paper/emery cloth on plate glass.. hand lapped the valves/seats.. hand filed the mains..
I was much younger and moved a lot faster..

I did it with a daughter (yes, all my girls had broken nails and dirty hands) who had the HG changed and mechanic installed the HG backwards, cutting oil supply to the upper..

Reactions: DL1

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
My thought is to rebuild this motor. I’m pretty sure it spun a bearing. Problem is, there is no where to buy a new crank if needed. I’ve also not found anyone who really rebuilds these. Most just motor swap it and be done. Again, though, I’m not exactly swimming in used 1.6l’s in the rust belt.
Let me ask this question - are you going to rebuild it or are you looking for someone to rebuild it for you?

Yes, I get that you probably don't run a machine shop, and will need to find a machine shop to do whatever machining is necessary, but later posts say the engine is almost out, and pictures show you (or someone else) has been labelling & removing stuff - hence my question.

I don't know what you heard or saw that makes you think it spun a bearing, but I don't think that's very common with these engines, and you won't know what's needed until you tear it down - and that's where I'd be headed - disassembly & evaluation so that I could make an intelligent decision rather than guessing.

For what it's worth, I've never rebuilt a G16, I have done a couple of the G13s which are the "little sister" and there's nothing particularly challenging about either one, except maybe sourcing needed parts (you can try Low Range Off Road for parts), and the big advantage, at least for me, is if you rebuild you know what condition the motor is in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me ask this question - are you going to rebuild it or are you looking for someone to rebuild it for you?

Yes, I get that you probably don't run a machine shop, and will need to find a machine shop to do whatever machining is necessary, but later posts say the engine is almost out, and pictures show you (or someone else) has been labelling & removing stuff - hence my question.

I don't know what you heard or saw that makes you think it spun a bearing, but I don't think that's very common with these engines, and you won't know what's needed until you tear it down - and that's where I'd be headed - disassembly & evaluation so that I could make an intelligent decision rather than guessing.

For what it's worth, I've never rebuilt a G16, I have done a couple of the G13s which are the "little sister" and there's nothing particularly challenging about either one, except maybe sourcing needed parts (you can try Low Range Off Road for parts), and the big advantage, at least for me, is if you rebuild you know what condition the motor is in.
I’m doing everything. Working two jobs rights now and just labeling and color coding stuff in case I forget where everything goes.

That is a good idea on tearing down and assessing damage. All I know is that this lacked power and when I was test driving up a hill the bottom end started knocking BADLY. It will still turnover but the knock is serious.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Last 1.6, that I over hauled, was about 23yrs ago and is still running.. was supper cheap in those days, took me 2 days, in/out.. decked the head with sand paper/emery cloth on plate glass.. hand lapped the valves/seats.. hand filed the mains..
I was much younger and moved a lot faster..

I did it with a daughter (yes, all my girls had broken nails and dirty hands) who had the HG changed and mechanic installed the HG backwards, cutting oil supply to the upper..
So the Hillbilly way does work for decking the head. 😂 😂 😂 😂 !! Good!!

·
Registered
480 Posts

Exactly my way of thinking. Once You open the engine You will definitely get an exact idea of what happened and what is needed. And like Fordem says, now You'll now You have a healthy engine. For many miles and smiles.
BTW great looking car. Definitely a steal on that condition.

·
Registered
625 Posts
DON'T mention STEAL -- he doesn't have an anti-theft system!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good luck with the rebuild. It is a clean and nice looking rig worth keeping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I got a game plan together. Since I’ve never rebuilt an engine before, I’ll tear it down, mark everything per cylinder on the bench and see how this goes.

I’ve got a Haynes manual I’ll spend some time with, too. Should be pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
[QUOTE="Flesh Eater, post: 1595356, member: 261846"
I’ve got a Haynes manual I’ll spend some time with, too. Should be pretty straight forward.
[/QUOTE]
OUCH !! Hope you are just using that rag as TP, download a factory manual from this site or rhino's, MAX should be able to help..

Reactions: Flesh Eater

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[QUOTE="Flesh Eater, post: 1595356, member: 261846"
OUCH !! Hope you are just using that rag as TP, download a factory manual from this site or rhino's, MAX should be able to help..
[/QUOTE]

I can’t stand reading stuff online. Is there anywhere to get a paper copy?

Guess I could just print it all out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts