Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting ready to take a road trip, and I'd like to remove the front of my hard top for the "sunroof" effect on the highway, but I want to bring it with me as well. Has anyone figured out a creative way to achieve this? Folding down my passenger seat is ruled out as I'll be bringing someone with me. If it's impossible, I may just bring a tarp to throw over it at night. Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed yesterday that Calmini's roof rack is on sale, so I might be investing in one soon. Without any other cargo, I'd be able to just tie it down inside the basket. That's the only other solution I can think of.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
When I got my car, the kid who had it before me had put 4 boat cleats on it - one on either side behind the doors, and one on either side at the rear panels of the car. He had some kind of wooden rack attached to them, which I took off right away, but I never took the cleats off, and actually have found these things to be incredibly handy. I can tie just about anything across the roof very securely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a creative idea! Any pictures of this setup? I've found myself getting more frustrated with my lack of cargo space, even without the rear seat. I had to strap some medium-sized lawn chairs to my roof last week because that was the only way I was going to get them home. I called Calmini this morning and was informed that I would be unable to remove my hardtop at all after installing their roof rack. What a bummer! I was ready to order it, too. So instead, I may end up investing in a hitch and cargo carrier as ranger88den suggested. All said and done, I'll save some money and end up with virtually the same additional cargo space. Sorry this thread got a little off-topic.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Here's a photo of them - the same set up on the other side. Since the rollbar is actually supposed to be able to carry the weight of the car, it's pretty much dictated by the rear bar of the convertible top, and what I can manage to lift up there. Certainly the front of the hard top is easy enough, and with this set up, whatever is up there can be diagonally tied so that it's super secure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts