Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
At times my grand vitara takes about 5-6 seconds to crank over and start. Other times it starts up right away. I can’t pin it down.

Here’s what I’ve done so far(not in any particular order):

1. Checked cylinder pressures when cold, passenger side is 145 PSI all across, driver side is 150PSI all across.
2. Replaced spark plugs.
3. Had all 6 injectors serviced and cleaned, they’re at factory spec again.
4. Replaced fuel pressure regulator with a Delphi one.
5. Installed an amazon special check valve right before the fuel filter.
6. I checked IAC valve, comes back at factory spec.
7. Replaced fuel filter.

I ordered a Delphi fuel pump, maybe my stock 20 year old fuel pump is on its way out. Plan is to replace it this weekend.

When idling the fuel pressure is 35PSI, when I key on the fuel pressure is 40PSI. I keep checking the feed line fuel pressure with a harbor freight pressure gauge. When I block off the feed line, return line and the vacuum line it still drops in fuel pressure about 5 PSI in 15 minutes. I’m not sure how that’s possible since the injectors came back at factory spec. If I don’t block off any fuel lines, the pressure actually rises, from 34PSI to 39PSI in 5 minutes, 15 minutes it started dropping slowly, after 45 minutes I was down to 10 PSI.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a grand Vitara aswell sometimes mine does the same thing all I do is turn the key on let the fuel pump work until it stops then a crank it and it starts first go

·
Registered
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a grand Vitara aswell sometimes mine does the same thing all I do is turn the key on let the fuel pump work until it stops then a crank it and it starts first go
I’ve tried doing that, unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. I have to turn it off, wait 10-15 seconds, key it back on, and then it’ll crank.

Strangely enough since I’ve left the pressure gauge in the fuel line for the last few days, I haven’t had the hard cranking issue.

·
Registered
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Where do you see that? :unsure:

From the FAQ thread...
But I don't think that your issue is spark timing related.

Do you display ANY codes on a scan? :rolleyes:

When starting, are there ever any signs of black exhaust smoke (fuel flooding)?
Sorry Max, just saw your questions now reading through the thread again.

I am not displaying any codes. I will need to keep a closer eye on the smoke, I've never noticed it.

On a side note, I did get to pulling the spark plugs over the weekend, and I did notice that Drive Rear and Driver Middle side spark plugs smell like gas. This was done after I saw the fuel pressure drop from 35psi down to 10psi.

I'm thinking those one, or both of those injectors may be sticking?

·
Registered
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A good possibility. ;)
Just checked. No smoke when starting up. I will keep an eye on it though.

The strangest thing is, the hard starts mostly happen when it's stupid hot out. I'm in Arizona, so basically any time I leave the car parked in the sun, and it's 110 out, it'll more than likely take those 5-6 seconds to start up. If it's descend out (anything below 90) hard starts are a lot less likely. Not sure if I'm going down a rabbit hole here, but I'm wondering if all that extra fuel pressure in the gas tank is causing an already faulty fuel injector to leak.

·
Registered
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I plugged in the ODB2 scanner, just to make sure there aren’t any codes that the check engine light isn’t coming up for, and although the “current codes” screen is blank, I did find a P0451 code under the pending screen.

I tried looking through the service manuals for P0451 troubleshooting steps, but I’m not seeing anything.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Thats not a valid code according to my lookup tables, altho it is a generic evap pressure sensor code.

all depends on the scantool being used.
EVAP could be causing hard starting in hot weather, you may need to diagnose further

Clear the code and keep an eye on it and see if the code reappears immediately after the next hard start

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
P0451 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance". ..

A good bi-directional scan tool and a knowledgeable diagnostic tech, should be able to test this system from the driver seat,,

·
Registered
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
P0451 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance". ..

A good bi-directional scan tool and a knowledgeable diagnostic tech, should be able to test this system from the driver seat,,
Any recommendations for a good diagnostics tool? (Amazon would be preferred)

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Your choice, they are not cheap... do your research..

Launch X431 Pro (mini)
Autel...
Snap-on

all in my took box... but you would still need the diagnostician.....

·
Registered
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Your choice, they are not cheap... do your research..

Launch X431 Pro (mini)
Autel...
Snap-on

all in my took box... but you would still need the diagnostician.....
Ouch, yeah. All of that is a bit out of my price range.

I guess I’ll try and visually inspect it and throw parts at it.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Ouch,
I guess I’ll try and visually inspect it and throw parts at it.
That may be tricky it may be the molecules/electrons in the wiring harness..

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
This is probably en electrical issue with the pressure sensor portion of the circuit, not the vent,, that would trigger a different type of code..

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
A few different problems may cause the P0451 code to be stored. These include:
  • A defect in, or damage to, the gas tank
  • A problem with the fuel tank sending unit
  • A faulty fuel tank pressure sensor
  • An open or shorted fuel tank pressure sensor circuit
  • A faulty canister vent valve (somewhat rare)
  • A faulty PCM (rare)

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Until you fix the issue, this is a latent code and will not affect the running of the engine,, just violates emission standards..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts