Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently moved to a farm I sold my conventional family car and purchased a Suzuki Vitara JLX (2 door) as this would, I thought, be better for driving through the country lanes, muddy and very wet roads. I have been driving it for a week now and to be honest I think I am doing something wrong. We had snow yesterday, not a great deal, but enough to switch between 2WD and 4WD (dependent on road conditions). It seemed to be okay. This morning however, the snow has turned to ice and here lies my problem. The vehicles back end seemed to be trying to get away from me if I accelerated above 15 miles per hour. I felt very unsafe and felt like the car was drifting across the road. Even in normal conditions, the car seems to have a very light back end with the steering being very very light indeed! Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have any advice? I don't want to get rid of the car because it is fun and I love it but with two children, safety has to come first. Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi

When we had a 3 door JLX we had similar - look to your tyres. The OEM's were cr*p - when we put on some A/T's that were wider but with a lower profile ratio, the problem was solved - and the look was meaner! Off-road it was virtually unstoppable and would go anywhere.

Beancounter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go and speak to my mechanic tonight and get some tyres ordered.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the rear is breaking loose before the front, you might try adding weight to the cargo area. If you get it behind the axle it will have more of an effect. I second the suggestion to get a good set of tires -- it will make a major difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts