Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 993cc Alto's handbrake is playing up. The car has done 5000 miles and the brakes are not worn. The handbrake most of the time comes right up to the top - six or seven clicks with a "catch" sometimes at about 4 clicks. Very occasionally the "catch" becomes firm at 4 clicks and the brake comes on - and I would like that all of the time. I had to fully adjust the cables "back" in the cabin when I got the car to get any handbrake effect at all. Is this a common problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My 1999 993cc Alto's handbrake is playing up. The car has done 5000 miles and the brakes are not worn. The handbrake most of the time comes right up to the top - six or seven clicks with a "catch" sometimes at about 4 clicks. Very occasionally the "catch" becomes firm at 4 clicks and the brake comes on - and I would like that all of the time. I had to fully adjust the cables "back" in the cabin when I got the car to get any handbrake effect at all. Is this a common problem? Thanks in advance.
no, you have probably made matters worse. The Drum brakes are self adjusting and you will probably find if you release the cables back to where they were, drive slowly in reverse and pull the handbrake on as hard as you can a few times they adjusters will take up any slack in the brakes then you can adjust the cables to give about 3-4 clicks. The biggest problem is getting the cables set where they should be, you can only do that once the handbrake has adjusted itself properly internally. You might be into a remove the drums and manually adjust them first situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts