Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am building an XL7 for my daughters first car. I bought two, one which hit an elk on the highway, and one that the previous owner ran out of oil. I'm combining the two.

I'm removing the seized engine this next weekend (replacing with the other) and since I can't rotate the flywheel to remove the bolts to the torque converter, I'll have to pull the motor with the torque converter attached.

What can I do to prepare for this, or is this even possible. This is my first Suzuki.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
The only easy way without destroying the torque converter or the transmission input shaft would be to remove the driveshafts and lower the rear of the transmission and support the front of the engine so you have enough angle to remove the transmission off the engine in a straight line so you don't destroy the converter.
You still have to get the converter off the flexible plate so the engines got to be rotated at some stsge

You could pull the trans and engine as a unit and separate them out if the car.

Or, drop the sump, undo all the bearing caps on the con rods and loosen the mains so you can rotate it.

Any way you do it, its a pain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an extra converter from the other xl7, so I'm not worried about hurting the converter, but do want to protect the input shaft.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
As long as you can get a straight 8" separation when pulling the trans off the engine then you won't damage the input shaft. If it does not come out dead straight you risk damage to stator shaft and input shaft in the trans. You are less likely to damage the converter and more likely to damage the trans

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to attempt to pull the heads, timing cover and the pan and see what I can't break loose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've bent the flex plate during installation. I didn't have a super angle and I don't believe the torque converter was fully seated.

Dang it! Too much hurrying.

Are the flex plates the same for all vitara and xl7 1G? Even the H25?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've bent the flex plate during installation. I didn't have a super angle and I don't believe the torque converter was fully seated.

car-part.com cross references several 2.5 L V6. Very interesting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also,

Previous owner, this is what happens when you don't change your oil, or probably even check it, for 17,000 miles.

Total carnage in the bottom of the block. Forward most rod bearing spun and jammed the rod into the bottom of the cumbustion chamber.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts

If you bent the flexi plate, I'd be checking the torque converter and pump assembly and input shaft on the trans fir damage before going any further.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As to the flex plate...Is it the same as the 2.5's? Anyone know that little gem of knowledge?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,691 Posts
As to the flex plate...Is it the same as the 2.5's? Anyone know that little gem of knowledge?

Thanks.
Same part number on both 2.5 & 2.7, so, yes, same part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts