Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
GV3 2014 silver 4x4 + Samurai 1993 blue!
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People!
After changing the transmission oil (ATF 3309 Mobil), I have noticed that it is heating up.....!
I traveled recently, another GV3 went along....
On the day of the tour (With dirt road, with ascent and descent)
Mine was 128 degrees (262F) (looking at the SZ VIEWER app) and not his was 111 degrees (232F)!
I wanted to understand the reason for this big difference in temperature.....
What reason?

I used oil ATF 3309 (8 liters)
I cleaned the transmission filter....

I changed the oil at 101500km
And the previous oil was starting to "burn"
Before changing, the transmission did not heat up and reached 135 (275F) degrees
With the new oil, it reached 145 degrees ( 293F) and it was excessive and we took a little and it normalized

Can anyone shed some light?
Tks!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Assuming your cooling loop in the radiator is still functional I'm not sure that those differences are highly significant, but simply a result of lots of TC slip on hills and what-not which can elevate oil temps as rapidly as 1°C per second. Plus the hot oil has to fight engine coolant temp if you don't have an external oil-to-air cooler - which it sound like you might need.

Are you making the best use of the shifter by selecting 3rd or 2nd manually as needed to minimise non-locked conditions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming your cooling loop in the radiator is still functional I'm not sure that those differences are highly significant, but simply a result of lots of TC slip on hills and what-not which can elevate oil temps as rapidly as 1°C per second. Plus the hot oil has to fight engine coolant temp if you don't have an external oil-to-air cooler - which it sound like you might need.

Are you making the best use of the shifter by selecting 3rd or 2nd manually as needed to minimise non-locked conditions?

Kiwi,
My GV3 is original....
On walks I always "change" the gears, when there is 1 uphill, I put it in L to 2...
Meanwhile, the engine temperature is always in the ideal range (88/90), which worries me with the high temperature of the transmission, which is giving a good difference ....!
In my friend who has the same and works more "fresh"....!
What reason for this?
I had other GV3 4x4 (12-12 and 14-15) that NEVER gave a problem with this ratio!

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Anything over 115C in an auto is cause for concern and will make the oil smell burnt and contributeto faster deteriorationof the clutch material on the plates.
Internal slippage is the usual cause.
Don't manual shift in these transmissions unless required as they are not designed for it, and you will actually do more damage as you are overriding the slip control which is used to prevent overheating and ease shifting.
this could be the cause of the excessive high temperatures. Locking in a gear for engine braking or a steep climb, or off road is fine, but there is no need to manual shift on inclines, let the tcm do it for you.

Once the oil smells burnt and temps remain high after an oil change, its getting due for a rebuild.

I have towed a 1 tonne trailer over a mountain pass here and never exceeded 112C in the transmission according to sz viewer. Manual locked in 2nd up the pass at 40 kph and in 3 on any inclines, D on the flat parts. Oil still clean and smells like new after 80,000 kms

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything over 115C in an auto is cause for concern and will make the oil smell burnt and contributeto faster deteriorationof the clutch material on the plates.
Internal slippage is the usual cause.
Don't manual shift in these transmissions unless required as they are not designed for it, and you will actually do more damage as you are overriding the slip control which is used to prevent overheating and ease shifting.
this could be the cause of the excessive high temperatures. Locking in a gear for engine braking or a steep climb, or off road is fine, but there is no need to manual shift on inclines, let the tcm do it for you.

Once the oil smells burnt and temps remain high after an oil change, its getting due for a rebuild.

I have towed a 1 tonne trailer over a mountain pass here and never exceeded 112C in the transmission according to sz viewer. Manual locked in 2nd up the pass at 40 kph and in 3 on any inclines, D on the flat parts. Oil still clean and smells like new after 80,000 kms
2013GV,
Yes....!
What is the reason for the heating?
I just wanted to understand....!
I'm thinking that the radiator may be "clogging" the oil passage from the crankshaft....

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
2013GV,
Yes....!
What is the reason for the heating?
I just wanted to understand....!
I'm thinking that the radiator may be "clogging" the oil passage from the crankshaft....
If its heating up, either the cooler is blocked in the bottom of the radiator or you have done damage manually shifting it and its cooked a clutch pack which is slipping and causing the heating and burnt smell. The oil going brown and smelling burnt is commonly from slipping clutches.

Check the cooler lines are clear and oil is able to flow through the heat exchanger in the radiator.

What " crankshaft" are you talking about?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its heating up, either the cooler is blocked in the bottom of the radiator or you have done damage manually shifting it and its cooked a clutch pack which is slipping and causing the heating and burnt smell. The oil going brown and smelling burnt is commonly from slipping clutches.

Check the cooler lines are clear and oil is able to flow through the heat exchanger in the radiator.

What " crankshaft" are you talking about?
GV2013,
I changed the ATF 3309 Mobil gearbox oil on 28/10/22....
I used 8L of that oil, as I said before!
And it was in excess and threw by the vent...!
In the first workshop that works with the cambio (I was going to change it in the machine) and told me.... "it is blocking the passage", because the machine could not pull the "rest" of the oil... I couldn't believe it and had to replace the old oil and I left ....!

oil passage from the crankshaft....
Already in the second workshop we did the manual change and I found it strange, as it never occurred with old oil....!

Crankshaft oil....It was wrong, but the gearbox oil!

So the colour of the ATF 3309 is still the new colour which is red...

So I have to check the hoses connecting the gearbox to the radiator?

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
GV2013,
I changed the ATF 3309 Mobil gearbox oil on 28/10/22....
I used 8L of that oil, as I said before!
And it was in excess and threw by the vent...!
In the first workshop that works with the cambio (I was going to change it in the machine) and told me.... "it is blocking the passage", because the machine could not pull the "rest" of the oil... I couldn't believe it and had to replace the old oil and I left ....!

oil passage from the crankshaft....
Already in the second workshop we did the manual change and I found it strange, as it never occurred with old oil....!

Crankshaft oil....It was wrong, but the gearbox oil!

So the colour of the ATF 3309 is still the new colour which is red...

So I have to check the hoses connecting the gearbox to the radiator?
Yes, check the hoses between the gearbox and the radiator and the cooler unit in the radiator itself

·
Registered
13,390 Posts

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
... In the radiator?

For oil passes through the lower rail, above where the engine water cools ....
Yes, there is a heat exchanger in the lower radiator tank, transmission oil circulates thru that to cool the oil and maintain it at about 90C when it returns to the transmission.
Follow the cooler lines.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, there is a heat exchanger in the lower radiator tank, transmission oil circulates thru that to cool the oil and maintain it at about 90C when it returns to the transmission.
Follow the cooler lines.....
Generally oil works hotter than water right?
How many degrees higher? About 5/10 degrees?

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Generally oil works hotter than water right?
How many degrees higher? About 5/10 degrees?
What are you asking here? Water temperature in the top of the radiator is about 100C to 125C depending on engine loading, at the bottom its about 90C to 100C
Oil from the transmission should be going from the transmission at about 110, and should never be above 115C in normal conditions and returning from the radiator about 90 to 100C depending on the water temp in the radiator

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are you asking here? Water temperature in the top of the radiator is about 100C to 125C depending on engine loading, at the bottom its about 90C to 100C
Oil from the transmission should be going from the transmission at about 110, and should never be above 115C in normal conditions and returning from the radiator about 90 to 100C depending on the water temp in the radiator
2013GV,
I live in the mountainous region of Rio de Janeiro, where my house is at an altitude of 860 meters and the shop is at 700 meters.
I notice that on cold days the gearbox oil "works" cooler On hot days it works hotter than normal,
Sometimes I go to the capital of the state, which is at sea level (I take the hills to go up and down as well).
Today as it is raining I was looking when I arrived at home it was marking 95 degrees the temperature of the exchange, in the hot day already takes 120 degrees sometimes!
I take a lot of road and without traffic in the area of the commerce...
Water temperature always at 88/90 degrees, because I turn on the air conditioner and it helps to cool the engine with the radiator fan... Using the original thermostatic valve (opens 82 and closes with 98)
When I ran 1040km on the 15/11 holiday (Proclamation of the Republic) on the road it kept at 118/120, when I stepped more it dropped a little and came back .....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned nothing but manuals since my first truck. Benefits? I firmly believe that driving manual makes you an all around better driver, plus it's way more fun. Drawbacks? Stop-and-go traffic can be annoying at times, and if you're really into rock crawling I hear slushboxes are the way to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've owned nothing but manuals since my first truck. Benefits? I firmly believe that driving manual makes you an all around better driver, plus it's way more fun. Drawbacks? Stop-and-go traffic can be annoying at times, and if you're really into rock crawling I hear slushboxes are the way to go.
Are you by any chance following the topic?
You are saying that there is nothing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts