Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

New to the forum and my first post, hopefully someone has knowledge about rebuild the GV2000 (j20?) 2.0 ltr petrol 16v engine. I have a 2000 model 2 door that developed an engine rattle when driving on the motorway at @65-70mph). It sounded serious but I managed to nurse it home. I subsequently checked over the motor, oil level was low (found an oil leak on front cam chain cover) but not at minimum. Further inspection and I found the timing chain iin good condition and all the timing marks line up ok (found another thread on here with details). The rattle is only heard above 2500 revs and sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine. I am assuming it's the little end bearings and/or big ends that have gone due to oil starvation? Question is, assuming it's what I suspect, can this engine be stripped without removing it from car i.e. head and sump, or is it just as easy to remove the whole motor and strip on engine stand? I'd like to fix it as I have rebuilt engines in the past but don't have any experience with this engine. Other option is to scrap it or sell it as spares or repairs but it's a good little motor when working.

Thanks for reading!

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
This engine is probably a little different to those you've worked on in the past - the main bearings do not have individual caps, there's an upper and lower block with the crankshaft sandwiched in between - I suggest you pull it.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
There is certainly a chance that something is amiss on the top end, which won't necessitate pulling the engine for repair in all likelihood. I'd better ID the noise source using a mechanics stethoscope, first off.

Just HOW low did the oil level get? You said not at "minimum", but on the dipstick (indicating up to 2 quarts low) or you are somehow gauging the entire 5 or so quarts in the pan? :huh:

Did the oil pressure light ever come on? :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is certainly a chance that something is amiss on the top end, which won't necessitate pulling the engine for repair in all likelihood. I'd better ID the noise source using a mechanics stethoscope, first off.

Just HOW low did the oil level get? You said not at "minimum", but on the dipstick (indicating up to 2 quarts low) or you are somehow gauging the entire 5 or so quarts in the pan? :huh:

Did the oil pressure light ever come on? :eek:
Thanks for the responses, I hadn't realised there are no main bearing caps, sounds more like a motorbike engine (I've rebuilt those in the past too!).

I measured the oil level via the dipstick and it was close to minimum. The oil pressure light didn't come on at any time, though there is always the chance that the sensor is faulty. When I removed the timing cover, there was a crack in it that had been repaired (bodged with sealant) which makes me think the timing chain has let go on this engine before and it cracked the cover then. Like I said, there is no play in the chain and the marks line up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.