Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’ve just joined I’m looking for some help regarding my 2.0 Diesel Grand Vitara 2G 2005

I bought this a few months ago and it started fine but then found it harder to start after it’s been standing for a day.
It tries to start but after trying for ages it fires up…. But now it won’t start at all..

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Basics:
Have you pulled codes?
Tried using a starting fluid to rule out no fuel?
Observed spark plugs for spark to rule out a no-fire issue?

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Oh diesel! Yes you can introduce Starting Fluid at an induction air inlet point.

Not all codes will cause an immediate CEL illumination. Those pending or in history may aid in diagnostics though.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Any Starting Fluid designed for the service. Inlet wherever your air filter resides will work.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,518 Posts
You have 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure lift and a high pressure injector pump, check the pressure and flow from low pressure pump..

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
2003 — EOBD becomes mandatory for all diesel vehicles in the EU. this is the equivalent to OBDI in N america..

OBDII scanner may not communicate with the protocol, so you may not be able to access codes unless you have an OEM scan tool, or Tech2..

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
If you access a tool that can read codes, you should be able to monitor the high pressure rail.. >1200psi

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
While I was out surveying our flood damage, I thought of your predicament...

If this is only on cold start and you have verified the fuel delivery, your next test would be,
  1. Use a MM or test light and confirm battery voltage at the glow plugs, next
  2. MM on Ohms, glow plug disconnected, test the glow plug, should see 6-10 Ohms, if they test infinity they are burned out..

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
A 2005 model will be EOBD and these have an individual cable to each plug so you could check the resistances from the relay connector if access is limited.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Diagram

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Correct, but the cable must still be disconnected from the control unit.. in order to check for resistance, or use an amp clamp meter to confirm circuit.. Open G plug ="0" amps..

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
2003 — EOBD becomes mandatory for all diesel vehicles in the EU. this is the equivalent to OBDI in N america..

OBDII scanner may not communicate with the protocol, so you may not be able to access codes unless you have an OEM scan tool, or Tech2..
As far as I know EOBD is a superset of OBDII and backward compatible.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Should be, but not always so... Have had to use an OBDI tool with adapter on a couple of EU vehicles (Scoda and Lada)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts