Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The car is a 2008, 2 liter, automatic GV with 195,000 KM.

I have an annoying issue while driving on highway speeds (above 50-60kmh) - at the first 20 to 30 minutes all seem OK, but after that I start to feel weird vibrations when the engine is at about 2000 RPMs, almost like it "hesitates" whether to shift down or not..When I press the gas pedal it usually shifts down and continues running OK.
I noticed it gets worse when going uphill. When leaving the gas pedal the vibrations stop instantly.

The car is regularly serviced - but I had a check engine light for a long time, mechanic said the catalytic converter is clogged and need to be replaced. The mechanic said that the problem might be caused by the converter, as it is the only error code he sees - so I had it replaced with a new one.
Now the check-engine light is off but the problem of stuttering/vibration/hesitation still exists..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Was the O2 sensor replaced as well?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,742 Posts
Sad that the mechanic "Thinks" as opposed to testing,, run the fuel trims at highway speed and see what that nets you..

Are you running lean ? stuttering at load or
rich ? eats CATs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the O2 sensor replaced as well?
I'm not sure, I paid for a new converter - If I had to guess then probably not..If there was an issue with it wouldn't it send an error code? The check-engine light is off now after the replacement (drove over a 1000 kms since).

Sad that the mechanic "Thinks" as opposed to testing,, run the fuel trims at highway speed and see what that nets you..

Are you running lean ? stuttering at load or
rich ? eats CATs
Can you explain what it means to run the fuel trims? I have an OBD thing I can try to use.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure, I paid for a new converter - If I had to guess then probably not..If there was an issue with it wouldn't it send an error code? The check-engine light is off now after the replacement (drove over a 1000 kms since).

Can you explain what it means to run the fuel trims? I have an OBD thing I can try to use.

Thanks
Anybody?

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Use your Obd scanner and scan your fuel trims and O2 sensors at idle and after 30 seconds at 2500 rpms and post results, fuel trims should be under 5 for both long term and short term

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - Came back to update that the problem was solved by replacing the spark plugs - which were old and probably of bad quality (installed by previous owner).
Hope this might help someone in the future.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,742 Posts
So you may not have needed a converter...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you may not have needed a converter...
Probably wasn't related to the stuttering issue (or perhaps the issue was what caused the converter damage)..but I had the check-engine light on for a couple of years because of the converter and now it's gone, so I can't complain too much :)

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
A persistent misfire can cause an excessive amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust which can lead to the catalytic converter overheating and melting internally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts