Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a UK 2004 Grand Vitara 2.0 td with the Peugeot RHW engine, EOBD spec.
It had a cam belt failure so I had a local Mechanic replace the engine with one from a friends.
The Mechanic was an old school type who felt he didn't need to label or take notes of where everything went before removing the engine.
He worked on the "it will go back in the same place/only one way it can go" Methodology.
This resulted in me getting a non starting Vitara back from him when he had finished messing with it at a cost of £500.
I read the dtc codes with a Tech2 scanner with the Suzuki software card and it was P89 fuel pressure regulator circuit malfunction.
I took it to a local auto electrician who got it to start by "moving things about until the code cleared".
I towed the car back home and Then found out that whilst the car now starts it doesn't run correctly.
The exhaust gasses are quite sooty and doesn't smell right. and the engine lacks power of course, and the engine light comes on.
The Tech 2 comes up with P102 dtc code MAF sensor circuit low.
I have taken the exhaust and cat off and they are unblocked.
I have taken the air duct piping and intercooler etc off and fixed all the leaks i could find (the mechanic didn't fit any of the rubber seals to the boost pipes and had pierced the intercooler by smashing it down on top of the engine because he couldn't get it to start, Thought i'd found the problem there) and whilst the car drives better, the problem still remains.
I bought a new MAF sensor knowing that it wouldn't solve the problem and it is still the same with the new MAF.
Does anybody know where the negative/grounding points are on this engine,
I have the workshop supplement for the RHW engine but it doesn't contain this information and i don't have the wiring supplement for this model.
I have tried to any of mechanical problems that it could be, so it can only be an electrical problem now it seems.
I am sorry about the large essay but as it isn't a simple case of "my car has started playing up" that i aught to include as much information as possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Unfortunately as several hands have manipulated this engine, there is no valid way we (at arm length) can support you with any valid information..
It seems that all the people working on this vehicle are only guessing..

With regards the MAF, verify you have a good reference voltage, a good ground and signal wires... I suspect a ground issue, probably on the sensor circuit.. but again from a distance that would be a guess.. so not much better than your locals..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi aquanaut 20,
Thanks for replying.
I had done the easy part and checked the voltage to the connector and that was fine, its just that checking the other wires in the circuit involves inserting 0.3mm or smaller diameter pins into the back of the ecu connector to check for continuity and impedances etc and i am having difficulty finding some here in the UK..
As I have nothing to compare it with I have no idea if anything is plugged in or connected in the right place but as the engine starts and runs now there can't be too much wrong.
I had hoped that someone might know where the ground wire/s ( I can only find one, no idea how many there should be) is connected to the engine so that i would know that it is in the right place
Maybe there is a break in a wire or maybe a ground is in the wrong place or something.,
I will figure it out eventually,
Thanks again for replying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
checking the other wires in the circuit involves inserting 0.3mm or smaller diameter pins into the back of the ecu connector to check for continuity and impedances etc and i am having difficulty finding some
White Gauge Measuring instrument Clock Watch

My test lead kit came with these pin probes. The main shaft is 0.8 mm but they taper to zero.

Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Computer hardware Cable Electrical supply

They hold themselves in the PCM connector even while driving.

Grey Monochrome Font Fashion accessory Monochrome photography

You can make your own probe out of a turkey lacing pin (top) or a scroll saw blade (bottom).

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

A few seconds on a belt sander...

Wood Natural material Hardwood Wood stain Varnish

... and you have any shape and thickness you want.

Watch Wood Table Measuring instrument Gauge

Here's the cleaned up scroll saw blade.

Wood Wire Circuit component Fashion accessory Triangle

Just clip your test lead to the probe.

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Cable Automotive design

Here's the turkey lacing pin in the connector cavity.

Computer hardware Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable Wire

Here's the scroll saw blade in the same connector.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
You can also us common T pins (from sewing shop)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI
Yes, they are both good ideas.
But the manual specifically states a pin diameter of no more than 0.3mm to avoid damaging the waterproof seal
I have managed to find something suitable on ebay, an 0.3mm x 50mm hole gauge made from hardened tool steel. only £5 so hopefully it should do the job.
If it was any other circuit then i would just of made something as you suggested but as the ECU is exposed at the front of the engine compartment then i don't want to take any chances.
Just got to wait for it to turn up
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
10,036 Posts

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I have no issues using those type of probes, no need to reduce them, just insert them parallel to the wire between wire and seal...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will post a picture of the pin gauge when it turns up after the weekend.
I did buy a probe set off amazon that was supposed to include 0.3mm diameter probes but they turned out to be 1.00mm.
I was thinking of 0.6mm welding wire before i found the 0.3mm pin gauge.
I am sure that 0.7mm would be fine but i have spent many many hours and many £'s on the damn car and i don't want to do anything that i regretted later.
It does rain a lot here in wales!
It was supposed to be a fun project that has been short on the fun part so far.
Thanks for the help and suggestions

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I spent several yrs in my childhood in S.Wales, attended Mountain Ash School.. Yes it rained a lot..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts