Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys. My wonderful N reg Vitara has no faults other than a horrible squealing that if it were not automatic would make me think "thrust bearing". My son's car having gone up the Swannee because he ignored squealing water pump bearing, is this something I should worry about. I have been thinking it was a belt and a mate sprayed it with something and it temporarily cured it. Can't find similar product in Halford and sure as hell if it is say, I don't know, something important's bearing about to be f--ked up, I should be doing something rather than just sitting there, as usual. Many thanks.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
I don’t know what options you have on your car (power steering, A/C, etc.) so ask which belt are you talking about? If someone has sprayed the belt and the noise stopped, then it’s somewhat logical to think that the belt needs to be replaced. Spraying a belt won’t stop bearing noise, etc., so that’s where I would start.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
plain old baby talcum powder can also help a squealing belt temporarily and is less harmful then spray on stuff. Check tension of the belt (s)

*runs off screaming into the distance*;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you v much for this, Veteran (tho' you're bound to be years younger than me) will try talc trick since the belt manufacturer in US (I'm in UK) says the dressing is v bad for belt. The noise disappeared with a spray of water so I'll try the talc. I'm too tired to think about misaligned pulleys or new belts today!!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
If it stopped with water, don't waste time with talc. You have a bad/loose belt, address that..

No magic bullet here!

... Philip

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, ok, well, they're not loose so maybe they're just crap. When I have energy, I'll change them. Thank you v much. Problem with talc was, not many places sell it now!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If it stopped with water, don't waste time with talc. You have a bad/loose belt, address that..

No magic bullet here!

... Philip
I agree, if water fixed it then its a loose or dying belt, or theres contamination on the pulleys. Either way, its a stop gap until you fix it properly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you as always, guys, what'd I do without you. I bet you don't get constant advert for bras with your replies! Mind you, they're nice bras - but pricey!!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I bet you don't get constant advert for bras with your replies! Mind you, they're nice bras - but pricey!!

You could try Firefox as a browser with the addon "Addblock Plus"
Haven't seen any adds for quite a while.

My 94 does a startup belt squeal that stops by the time I get to the street, but it's due to the air conditioner delete and re-routing the belt over the idler pulley. It was a new Gates belt when the delete happened
Talcum powder!
I'll give it a try.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Thanks Don, mine does stop eventually but I fear I'm going to regret ignoring it!! Talcum powder if I can find some.
its called baby powder....scented stuff is ok, but you will get strange looks when you park the car and people smell it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noisy belt

Perhaps you need to check the condition of the pulleys which the belt run througH . Pitting of the pulley would create this noise. You and also run a piece of chalk aalong the sides of the belt, while the engine is idling. This would eliminate the noise for a while.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
Hmm....I would think that the fact that when your friend sprayed ‘something’ on the belt, and the belt stopped squealing, it either means that the tension is incorrect, or you need a new belt.....powder, etc., would be just a temporary fix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear friends and mentors I think I'll take it to one of the several mechanics recently recommended to me. Despite it being rather juicy, it is a joy - and our only car so I'd better take care of it! Once again appreciation. I recently got two new tyres from an outfit I've been using for over forty years - a sobering thought!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
I don’t know how common these Vitaras are where you live, but just remember that they are old cars, and many mechanics are not familiar with them. While your current situation of potentially needing a belt is a common one, if other more serious issues arise, you may need to research first, in order to direct your mechanic as to what the problem is. This forum is filled with posts of mechanics not diagnosing properly, throwing parts at the car, and just being really unfamiliar with them. Hopefully yours will work out. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Shes in Grenada, at least they know what old stuff is there, unlike pommieland where if its not computer controlled or a LandRover they won't touch it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not any more, I ain't!! I'm back in the UK (not wanted on voyage it turned out). Yep, Grenadians knew all about Vitaras. I know they're practically non-existent here but, but, dear boys, I used to drive a Bedford TL horsebox so am well, well, well acquainted with finding people who know an old make. I think I may have run one to ground already. I'm relatively mechanically savvy for an old girl so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Caribbean is not behind time at all

I am ex REME ,with many subsequent years of experience in the motor industry, I live in the Caribbean and can assure you that the regional distributor for Suzuki vehicles ensure that mechanics and other technical personnel are supplied with the most up to date tools and trainihg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh William, Are you related to Roger Byer? I'm now back in the UK. In Grenada, everyone knew how to fix anything (not just Suzuki Vitaras!). Best wishes, nostalgically Olga

1 - 20 of 22 Posts