Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I read in a few spots on this forum that there is apparently a grounding kit specifically for an SX4 available for purchase from some company, with a manual that explains what components to ground to. If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it. Apparently that might fix the problem with my car, which is as follows:

I have an American 2008 AWD SX4 with 35k miles. I have had an ongoing problem for 8 months where my AWD switching system is not working and I have a solid amber ESP light on my dash. The suzuki dealership has not been able to fix the problem. They tried changing the battery, and it fixed the problem for about a week, then it came back (AWD kicks off, amber ESP light comes on solid). Then they changed the AWD controller assembly/actuator, and it worked for about 2 days and the problem came back. They then tried to distance a few of the fuses within the fuse box, and worked for about a week and the problem came back. They are telling me I need a new ECM, which I think is retarded. It's 2200$. It's also not guaranteed to fix the problem, it's just a "hunch" they have.

They confirm that the computer software is updated to the latest version. I even called Suzuki in the US to ask for any kind of help and the only thing they can do is give me a website where Canada can access their books for 3-4$ a day.

So if anyone has info on a grounding kit, or if they think it can or will not help, I would love to get any advice at all.

Thank you

·
Registered
398 Posts
I doubt that a "Grounding Kit" will help. They usually just add an element of bling to the engine bay. If you actually have a faulty ground it could be anywhere and you would have to track it down and clean the connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I bought some cables and added a ground from the battery to the chassis, chassis to engine and engine to battery: nothing, ESP light still on, AWD system still not working. It cost me 20$ and I can bring the parts back to the store. I had to try.

So what do I do now? Pay the dealership 135$ an hour to take my dash apart and look through everything? They said it would be anywhere from 6 to 10 hours of labor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
All I can add is that the Service Manual has trouble shooting procedures for this type of fault. Usually it starts with testing any sensor/sender and working back.

I had an airbag fault that they traced to a connector plug under the seat and fixed by removing plug and splicing wires. This was after one attempt at cleaning all plug connections. It doesn't take much to upset some of the self test routines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts