Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am trying to restore a 1986 samurai.
Everything was working fine, now, when I turn on the ignition the gas gage goes to ULTRA full the left directional ONLY blinks extra fast (the right one works fine) and the Tachometer reads 1,000 and when I rev the engine it maybe gets to 2,000 no matter how high I rev. If I leave the left blinker on for a while it stops all together and I have to shut off the ignition and wait a wile for it to start blinking extra fast again.

I have checked the ground at the left turn signal lamps it's good and the bulbs are good.

I have checked everything I can think of, I have changed the ignition switch and the entire turn signal horn etc setup.
I have run a thick ground wire from the battery very long so I can go to any ground (say the left signal) and ground it to make sure I have a good ground.

I can't find this and I have lost 2 days.

Any Ideas ? Any help much apricated.

Cheers
The gas tank ground and the turn signal rear left may share the same ground..follow the gas tank ground wire, may be green. You may have to dig in a little farther than just removing the housing

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
The gas tank ground and the turn signal rear left may share the same ground..follow the gas tank ground wire, may be green. You may have to dig in a little farther than just removing the housing
Perhaps you should read through the thread in it's entirety before responding - the turn signal issue was traced to the wrong bulbs - a bad ground would/should also have been revealed in a walk around as one or more lamps would either not be lit or not be brightly lit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Perhaps you should read through the thread in it's entirety before responding - the turn signal issue was traced to the wrong bulbs - a bad ground would/should also have been revealed in a walk around as one or more lamps would either not be lit or not be brightly lit.
Perhaps you should read what I posted starting out with the words GAS TANK GROUND..a bad ground on the gas tank will cause it to possible go ULTRA FULL. dont think you would see that condition walking around a car and checking the brightness condition of the lights. The lights could be grounded just fine, yet the gas tank ground piggy backs and that wireing is more suseptable to corrosion

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
Perhaps you should read what I posted starting out with the words GAS TANK GROUND..a bad ground on the gas tank will cause it to possible go ULTRA FULL.
You have that backwards - here's the gauge circuit from the factory service manual...

Product Line Font Parallel Circle
Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram

Pay careful attention to the table in the bottom right corner - you'll see the higher the sender resistance, the lower the reading - a short to ground on the gauge circuit will send the gauge to full scale, a high resistance (or bad ground) will, depending on how much resistance it adds to the circuit, cause the reading to be low, or, if it's an open circuit, to read empty when it's not - even if it's a shared ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have that backwards - here's the gauge circuit from the factory service manual...

View attachment 106062 View attachment 106063
Pay careful attention to the table in the bottom right corner - you'll see the higher the sender resistance, the lower the reading - a short to ground on the gauge circuit will send the gauge to full scale, a high resistance (or bad ground) will, depending on how much resistance it adds to the circuit, cause the reading to be low, or, if it's an open circuit, to read empty when it's not - even if it's a shared ground.
Awesome !

21 - 26 of 26 Posts