Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My 2011 SX4 Crossover has developed a groaning noise coming from the rear end. It sounds kind of like I'm running big knobby tires back there.
I've felt around and looked for anything obvious to no avail. I also changed the rear end oil and it all looked good. Car barely has 20,000 miles.
What else should I be looking at? Wheel bearings? Driveshaft? CV joints?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
"Groaning" is kind of Vague.

In the Owners Manual for my 2009 AWD, it specifically instructed me to change my differential oil at 7500 miles and again at 15k miles. My Suzuki dealer supposedly did both the differential and Transfer case at 15k. :confused:

At 21k I decided to change both fluids again and add 10% Prolong Gear Lube additive. The Prolong additive greatly reduces friction and improves performance.

The differential fluid I drained out was very dark, and there was no metal particles on the magnetic drain plug.

But.....when I pulled the drain plug on the Transfer Case, there was a big gob of metal powder on the plug the size of the end of my thumb. The fluid was like tar. It was readily apparent that the dealer had not changed that fluid at all.

Changing the differential fluid is somewhat easy, but changing the fluid in the transfer case is another matter.

After the job of doing the fluid change in both gear boxes, the car ran better and smoother. I never did have any problems in that area.

On earlier models, some guys had wheel bearing problems and some even had problems with Drive Shaft bearings.

In general I vowed to never own another AWD. There are just too many parts to go bad and MPG suffers greatly because of all the extra gear boxes, bearings, etc.

I think I'd get that car to a good mechanic, who can maybe diagnose the problem you're having.

With a three year old car, it's not unreasonable to consider trading it off for another car.

Good Luck,
Shadow :cool: In the Sunshine State

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wife's 2011 sx4 has barely 20,000 km....and nothing to comment. But reports of rear end noise keep coming on this forum and others....and several had rear bearing issues. I'm not sure if you can easily jack one wheel and rotate it by hand....in fact, jack the complete rear end, and rotate one wheel...the other should also rotate in the opposite direction as I think the rear end coupler/clutch might keep the driving chaft from rotating...and just see if you can detect some form of irregular ressitance...anyway report anything that comes from that experience.....it might be a step toward identification of the problem....
mmm...in my world, a 3 year car is a new car.....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Due to the high level of Maintenance I performed on my SX4, after 3 years and 40,000 miles, it was indeed still like new and even ran better than when it was new.

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,
OK. I need to report on what I did to fix this...
So, after countless hours online trying to diagnose this issue, I decided to replace my own rear hubs. I ordered two of them on sale at carid.com for $75 each!!!
I started with the drivers side (feeling like that's where the louder noise was coming from).
When I pulled off the rotor (which takes an 8mm bolt to literally pull it off-luckily, I had some lying around my shop), a piece of plastic or ceramic type thing about the size of quarter, but spherical, fell out from behind the rotor. I could see NO possible place where it could have come from within the car, and after further deduction, I decided it somehow found its way in there from the road somehow.
Anyhow, I didn't change the other side (I returned the part to CarId) and now my car is once again KICKING ASS!!
Thanks for everyone's help.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem on my 08

New member here...I have an 08 AWD sx4 and i am trying to diagnose this same problem.

I already replaced the u joints and had the driveshaft balanced. I have a lift and I have closely examined the entire driveline. I replaced the differential output seals and put fresh gear lube in.

The wheel bearings do not exhibit any of the tell tail signs of going bad. The car made the same noise when the driveshaft was removed and it howls/groans at about 30+ mph and gets higher pitched the faster you go...I have even shut the motor off at speed and in neutral (car is an automatic) and the noise is still there. Its not super loud but it does annoy me and if it CAN be fixed then I want to...

MY Guess IS its either a bearing in the rear diff or the ring and pinion is the culprit. Maybe they are glazed?

I am just wondering if this is a normal sound in these cars...I don't know anyone else who owns "an oddball" (as my buddies call it) so I cant compare it to any others. And I HAVE taken the brakes apart and found nothing there either... Any help would be greatly appreciated!:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts