Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 samurai and the transmission makes a horrible grinding noise when I get into 4th and 5th. The nous is mainly when I let slap in the drivetrain example.. Letting off the gas between the (engine pushing the tires) and the (tires slowing the engine). I initially thought it was the transmission, so I swapped in another transmission from a parts samurai and it still made the same noise. It also makes the noise while I'm going about 40 and up and I throw it into neutral. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have 6.5:1 t-case gears but I am almost 100% certain the noise and grinding is coming from the transmission.

Video Link
http://youtu.be/oF3kNgjNsYc

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Without driving it myself. it does sound like either the rear bearing in the gearbox is loose allowing things to float, or a worn centre bush in the mainshaft. Either way its only apparent in the 2 top gears suggesting its in the "output" half of the gearbox, which suggests the rear half of the mainshaft and / or output bearings. Might be time to drop the box and strip it down and take a look.
The 6.5:1 gears won't be helping things on the over run either as things will be spinning a bit faster. Its always possible its the transfer case thats causing it, but there again, hard to tell without driving it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts