Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 GV 2.5 V6 Standard trans 4x4
Hey folks, I am looking for some help with a noise that no one can seem to diagnose. It's is very intermittent! Seems like bumps or braking can cause it to start up. It's sort of a high pitched grinding or scraping noise, that is definitely coming from a turning part in the drive train, judging by what the sound does as I slow down. Sometimes it only happens once and quickly, other times it keeps on happening through out the drive, off and on. Not noticeable at highway speeds, mostly 20 to 40 Kms. Seems like the front driver side. Can feel it in the floor, not the steering. New fluid in transfer case, front diff, brakes were checked, driven with all four wheels off the ground, told the front diff was good, but he could not get it to make the noise. It only happens when I'm the only one I n the vehicle, of course. Everything is tight in the front end. Shifts and drives fine in 4wd and 2wd. The 4wd light flashes every 5 seconds or so, and has been since the new ecm. Not sure that this is related or not, as the 4x4 works fine, and the noise happens in 2wd, and 4wd. I did have it engage into 4x4 kind of hard once on an icy hill not too long ago. Maybe this damaged something?
Anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated, and if you have any questions I may not have answered, I'll do my best.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,711 Posts
Use a ChassisEar to locate the offending noise..

... Philip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea. I'll ask around and see if anyone owns one.
My buddy wouldn't let me drag him around under the vehicle on a creeper, which is the poor mans version of a chassis ear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you verify that your brake dust shields are in good condition?

I know that those things rust like crazy up here in the north and start to rub against the rotors. I've just ripped mine out because they were in such poor shape. The bumps in the road might be enough to knock them loose and they start rubbing on the rotor until the rotor wears away the spot that is touching.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also, your 4wd light should not be flashing that often. You have a leak somewhere in the system that is causing the pump to kick on to maintain the vacuum. Once the leak gets bad enough, you'll lose the 4wd function altogether.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to check for loose parts again. After I figure this out, I'll see if I can get the 4x4 figured out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The longer I drive it, the worse it seems to get, making me think heat has an effect on it.
When I leave the house it makes no noise at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you ever able to figure out the reason for the noise? My 2003 Suzuki Vitara is doing the same thing and it has baffled 2 very good mechanics.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You need to narrow down the list of potential culprits. Mileage? Any accidents or repairs recently? Does the noise come or go when you

Hit the brakes?
Accelerate?
Sit at idle?
Rev in neutral?

Not much to go on yet.

Front end scraping or grinding sounds like brake pads to me. Try copper grease on the back of the pads and the slides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have similar problems, it turns out to be one of the wheelbearings. Lift it from the ground and turn the wheels by hand, but be shore to get a high speed on the wheel, then you will probably hear where its coming from, Good luck !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have similar problems, it turns out to be one of the wheelbearings. Lift it from the ground and turn the wheels by hand, but be shore to get a high speed on the wheel, then you will probably hear where its coming from, Good luck !
WRONG !! Its not coming from the wheelbearing. I replaced that, and it only became worse. Its now located to the hub itself, or the axle joint. Will dismantle and see......again...

·
Super Moderator
15,719 Posts
Lol, noises are especially difficult to diagnose, and more so when you're not there to hear it in person.

I've got one of my own - grinding, scraping - so it certainly matches the subject of this discussion, it only happens when I brake, so in some ways similar to the original poster, but it stops when I take my foot of the pedal, so in some ways different.

Here is where the big difference lies - I can drive for days or weeks and never hear the grinding scraping noise, as long as the weather is good - I only get the noise when the rain falls, and only after I drive through a section of roadway with more than maybe six inches or so of standing water. I have not yet disassembled the brakes to see if there are any "witness marks", but shortly before the rainy season started I did service them, blow the dust out, check the pad & lining thickness, adjust the rear brakes/handbrakes. The car stops fine, ABS works, everything is good expect for this noise on the first few applications of the brake after driving through moderately deep standing water.

If I hadn't just given the brakes a "once over" and/or if the grinding was every time I stepped on the pedal I might be more concerned, but right now I'm waiting on a "sunny day" to pull the wheels off again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts