Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

I have a Vitara 1996 petrol 2.0 V6 manual. Yesterday i noticed it wasn't smooth when changing gears. Now it wont go into reverse. (it does but it makes the same noise it would as tho the clutch wasn't depressed)

I don't have a dipstick on the transmission fluid so haven't checked that yet. But will later. What else should i try? If its a cable clutch can i adjust that myself?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
This side of the forum is for the older 1.6 engines, so info here may not be suitable for you - although there are people here familiar with your car. Reverse is not synchronized, and I would wonder if you still get the grinding if you put the gear shifter into another gear first, before reverse. Also, the older cars do not have a tranny dipstick for the manual cars - if you have one, lucky you! Normally we have to check at the fill plug on the tranny itself. I would ask about your clutch cable adjustment, as well, whether there are kinks in the cable, etc. On the older cars, there are adjusting nuts at the end of the cable by the tranny - a normal rule of thumb would be to have someone in the car, and someone at the cable end at the tranny. You will see a yoke (lever) at the end of the cable, which you push in until you feel resistance, then have the person in the car depress the clutch cable. You should see the cable move forward about one inch, and the rubber sheath not move at all.
Cables do stretch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts