Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took my Sammy to Petroworks for some healing. Bought the Sammy for $2k, tin top w/ factory A/C COLD! so anyway, come to find out the last owner installed a webar carb and also removed all the stock sammy smog equipment. OMG, i didn't realize it was so bad. So Gary (is that his name?) gave me a price to put it back to smog legal for about $850.00. Well, i didn't really have the mony right now, but I need it to be right. Just picked her up today and come to find out the bill ended up being $750.00. OMG, she runs like a charm, smooth throttle response and it just sounds better. Big thanks to Petroworks, I'm a new happy client.

My problem started when I was towing it home, I recently just learned here on Suzuki Forums that I never had the flat tow tranny sequence right. No doubt the tranny needs replacing, but what happended was I thought the transfer was in "N" and it was actually in 4H. OMG, my wife was towing it and pulled up to a light right beside me and I saw/smelled burned oil. I had the tranny in second gear and the transfer in 4H. So in a panic i put the tranny in "N", just to get me home.

Started the sammy to unhook from tow bar and holly cow never seen so much smoke from the exhaust... I took it out for a little 2-mile drive and no more smoke.... Did I hurt anything?????? it sure runs good. better than when I started. while towing, seems like the motor was turning and i must have pumped oil into the barrel, and now it's burned off???

any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Gary and his crew are great people. I'm glad you got in with them as a first experiance in the Zook community.
You may have gotten lucky, but I suggest you check your oils (motor and tranny) for overheating (burnt oil) and metal slivers.

One thing to consider next time you tow - remove the four bolts holding the rear driveshaft to the rear pinion (differential) and bungy the driveshaft up to the e-brake cable bracket under the floor. It is 3 minutes of great (cheap) insurance...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Petroworks is GREAT !!

If you enjoy homemade ice cream, Fallbrook has a yogurt shop (Yogurt Palace) that has some yogurt that tastes just like the old style homemade ice cream. The little munchkin and myself always make it a point to go by and grab some when we stop by Petroworks.

I have spent alot of time and $$$$ with Petroworks. They are always helpful even when you are not spending $$$ with them... just good people.
The last time I was down there a guy had his Samurai in for an engine swap because he had messed up the flat tow and lost the motor.

Here is the flat tow instructions from Petroworks website :
http://petroworks.com/pdf/How to Flat Tow a Samurai.pdf

+1 on changing your fluids and give them a look.

If you have any questions I would give Petroworks a call. They have never done me wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh man! took my Zook for a ride this wekend in Barstow and all of a sudden it stalled. Tried to get her started again and then I smelled fuel. Flooded for sure. Remove the fuel line waited a few minutes and it started, reconnected the fuel line and stalled. I figured the flaots maybe? but had no idea where to start. We we stranded 6-miles from camp and in the middle of nowhere. Finally a man and his wife stopped to ask if we need help?. Well, left my wife and 9-year old twins with the zook to get a ride back to camp. Picked up my dually and with my foot to the floor went back to rescue my wife and kids. Towed it back to camp, called PW and John showed me how to unstick the floats, worked like a charm, but now the idle is very lungy and not steady, also the cold start RPM's are 2100 for a while. Not like a couple of warm up minutes then a quick wap of the throttle and back down to normal idle, not very steady at all. So back to PW I go. Otherwise, she ran well. Just a little upset for being stranded in the desert.:(

·
Registered
193 Posts
I tow all over creation and I went to twin sticks to get a true (2WD) neutral. [I cannot be crawling under the Zuk almost every day of a three-month cross-continent trip to disconnect the rear driveshaft.]
Recently, returning from Oregon, I accidentally left the T-case in 2WD High, and the transmission in 4th for about 65 miles. It pushed a lot of oil into the upper cylinders but RPM was limited to about 4500. After a couple of starts the oil smoke went away, I may have gotten real lucky. I'll know for sure at my next Calif. smog check, because oil burning has been known to poison a catalytic converter.
The Suzuki owners manual says to use Neutral and 2nd gear, but I've been experimenting with 4th instead and now you see why. The whole point is to provide some resistance to keep oil slosh inside the T-case from turning the intermediate shaft on unlubricated transmission seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts