Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i accidentally hooked up a battery backwards in my grand vitara, now it wont start. i have all dash lights, horn, radio etc. but when i turn the key over i have nothing. i popped the 80 amp fuse when i connected the battery and replaced it. when i cross the terminals on the starter it will make an attempt to start but won't. i put a tester light on the key wire from the starter nd there was no power. just wondering if anyone did this before or would know what it could be

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Sounds like you dropped the COD on this one....

The actuator circuit has safety switches on the clutch/brake and shifter, some or any may apply, make sure they all work, then check for power on that circuit, if none test fuses...

..... Philip

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
+1

What year do you have?

You may want to start by probing the ignition switch wiring to see if the lack of 12V to the starter solenoid lies down or upstream from there.

You should be able to find the basic wiring schematic in the SQ series Service Manual, here...

My Files

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before any of this did happen the shifter wouldn't move out of park, i had to use the safety release switch under the shifter to get it into drive

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Check the safety interlock switch on the brake pedal...

..... Philip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after doing lots of diff tests and pulling the fuses it all came down to a loose plug under the dash, connected that and it started right up

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
Good deal! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts