Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year 2000 Grand Vitara suddenly developed this problem last December. While driving in heavy traffic, the engine suddenly buckled and stopped. When you turn it on again it has difficulty starting and the engine sputters and gives off obnoxious smell. After ten minutes of rest, the engine starts again as if there has been no problem.
I referred this to the Suzuki Center at EDSA Balintawak and they replace the radiator, Fan clutch and the thermostat. The problem still occurred when I have driven the car for a distance (meaning the engine has heated up.) I then brought it to a repair shop who cleaned my fuel tank, changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and even the fuel pump. This did not solve the problem.

Anybody knows what I should check next?

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
A good place to start is by telling us where you are, and what you're driving - a 2000 Grand Vitara in one country is not necessarily the same vehicle in another country, and some countries had a choice of engines.

One possible cause is the cam position sensor.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
And all of that fan, radiator, fan clutch and thermostat replacement action tells us that you were chasing an overheating issue, yet no mention of high gauge temperature, coolant loss or boil-overs. WAS it overheating? :huh:

And are we talking two different issues here. ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the Philippines. It is a 2.0 4 cylinder GV.

Changing the radiator, fan clutch and thermostat did not solve the problem because the problem was not due to overheating in the first place. It was a wrong diagnosis.

I will have the camshaft position sensor checked at my Suzuki dealer. Thanks. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
To further narrow down a suspect CPS...IF the car dies on you and placing a water soaked rag on the CPS seems to revive it, then THAT is a heat-soak related electronic failure.

This is a rather popular problem the J-20 engine. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had same symtoms and i have a 2001 2.0 4x4 tracker same as vitara spent a 1000 i did not have too to find out it was my cam sensor. the act up at differant times with no predictability.my mechanic had to put truck on dynometer to find problem. cheap part swap it out and i bet your good

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just out of curiosity, could you somehow add a heat-sink to the sensor to prolong its life? Or save a dying one for just a bit longer ?
I'm thinking of something like a computer heat sink.
Just cut and shaped to fit on the sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.