Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to find somewhere I can obtain the workshop manual covering the 2003-2005 grand vitara with the 2.0 Hdi RHW engine. I have the manuals leading up to this date but am finding it impossible to locate this supplement.
Does anyone know where can get a copy? I would happily buy one.

I have 2 grand vitara, a 2003 and 2004 model. Both have the 2.0 hdi RHW engine fitted but the 2004 model has a slightly different reference on the vin chassis plate.
The 2003 is listed as something like LJN96TF02
THE 2004 is listed as something like LJN96TG02.
I was hoping to swap the 2003 engine and box into the 2004 chassis as the engine and box in that car are broken(cam belt failure and whiney box) and need to know what if anything is different between them to make suzuki list them differently.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance and for reading this post,
Vitara Jim, noobie

·
Super Moderator
17,840 Posts
See the two Diesel Service Manuals listed / download available in the (top) FAQ thread. ;)

And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Max, thanks for the swift response.
I have checked the faq and I can only see manuals for the Mazda RF diesel engine and the Peugeot 2.0hdi RHZ engine listed.
I need the supplement for the Peugeot 2.0hdi twin cam 16v RHW engine.
I can't see it listed in the faq's, am I going blind/missing it or us it listed as something else?
Thanks,
Vitarajim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Max, don't worry about it.
It seems like I can't get the RHW supplement for love nor money. It used to be readily available 10 yrs ago or so but not now.
I live in the UK and have fixed my own cars for nearly 30 yrs but I have never had such difficulty finding a workshop manual for a 16yr old car!
Nevermind, the search continues 😉,
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
17,840 Posts
Did you see the link for the manuals that can be procured in the FAQ next to the free ones? Might be worth a look see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had a quick look but I am not sure if they are what I am looking for. There was some posts on this forum way back in 2006 I think that had a reference number for a CD manual that covered my cars but the number is different to the ones listed on the pitstopplus website.
I don't want to spend £5 for 24hrs access to find out it is just the documents that I already have and are readily available on Internet for free.
It is quite frustrating spending hours surfing the net to get nowhere which is where I am now.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
All I have are those two Diesel related ones. Sorry. :confused:
The could be a differences on those years as changes were made for
Eobd. The most obvious change and useful for id are the glow plug wires and relay. The earlier ones use a link bar across the plugs and the eobd has seperate cables from the relay to each glow plug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I will have a look tomorrow. The cars are stored at my work place at the moment. It will at least help to identify if they are the same obd standards.
Theoretically, swapping the glow plugs over would fix that problem though🤞, as with any other parts that are different between the 2 engines.
The main question that is bothering me is whether the 2004 ecu would run the 2003 engine. Some diesel engines require the injectors and high pressure pump to be coded to the ecu but I don't know about these RHW hdi engines as I don't have the suzuki supplement for them.
It doesn't mention anything in the older RHZ supplement but that may of changed.
I am pretty sure that it can done and will work, it's just nice to know exactly how much work it is going to take beforehand really.
Thanks for your reply and I will check the glow plugs and report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I don't believe the pump is coded. I think the injectors may be but people have swapped them with no noticeable issues. I can sort you out a link or the workshop manual later on. I've spend many hours/days searching for Suzuki workshop manuals and have now quite a collection. Don't think the actual glow plugs are different so may only have different wiring, just a easy way to identify OBD and EOBD models. As Arnie says...... "I'll be back".............

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
glow plug controllers and wiring are different. Glow plug swap if they are different part numbers will solve that, use existing wiring fitted to that engine if you know what I mean.
Injectors are coded, but will still run but take time to sort out correct fuel mixtures so economy will be down for a while.
the pressure control for the pump i'm not sure on, that may be coded but should still work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, thanks Darrell. If you can find the RHW supplement then that would be really helpful.
I could always swap the injectors if need be I guess but I don't know how easily they would come out. I changed 4 on my Ford Mondeo before but the my vitara has always run great so I have never needed to get any diagnostic software for it.

Thanks for the info 2013GV, I was hoping that as the RHW is a peugeot customer engine that they would make it as "plug and play" as possible.The less I need to swap over the better really😉.
The 2003GV was my car until rust killed it last mot🙁. The 2004 GV was my father in laws car which was never good mechanically but the bodywork is excellent with very little rust. Unfortunately for them the timing belt snapped so they got another car and gave me their GV in return for fixing their new car.
That's why want to make 1 GV from 2. I am not a mechanic and don't work in a garage but I have a workshop that I can do the work in over weekends.
The engine is almost ready to come out of the 2004GV, just didn't want to take it further in case I found some insurmountable problem and needed to get someone else to do it 😉😁.

Thanks for everyone's help so far

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check the glow plug wiring tomorrow, hopefully that will help identify whether they are both EOBD.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, but it only seems to cover the cooling system, 16 pages? I am not sure if my phone messed up the download but the file was only 358KB's. I replied to the message but maybe it hasn't sent it right.
Sorry, I thought I had posted this before going to bed last night, but apparently not 🙄.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Darrell, it all seems to be there now. I am at work now but I will have a look at it when I can whilst the machines are running.
I will check the glow plug wiring on the 2 cars when it gets lighter/warmer later on and post what I find.
Thanks for all your help again 👍🙂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have checked glow plug wiring on the 2 cars and can confirm the that the 2004 car is EOBD wiring and the 2003 car has OBD wiring.
The glow plugs themselves look identical and the EOBD wiring should fit the 2003 engine although I won't know for sure until I get both engines out.
Hopefully this explains the difference between the suzuki engine codes on the chassis plate.
I guess that with the EOBD ecu it would be easier to get a code reader/laptop and cable to play ball with it if need be.
It will probably take me a few weekends to complete the job as I want check/renew anything worn on the engine whilst it is out clean rust proof the engine bay but I will post back when it is done so the forum will know that it worked
Thanks for all the help again, I am much better prepared after joining the forum🙂.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts