Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a newbie to both the forums and to Grand Vitaras here. I'm hoping that someone can help me a bit.

I recently bought an old 2006 Vitara (3rd gen), with the 1.9 DDiS engine (I know, I know...).

The car had a serious lack of power. I changed out the fuel and air filters, and it got better, but there is a still a lack of power when the engine is about the 2k rev mark. I note that if I am in 4th / 5th and press the throttle, there is not much extra oompf.

Once you downshift, and the revs go up, there seems to be power and she does move.
I'm newly back to diesels and jeeps, so my driving style may also be causing the issue, but I think there is a lack of power.

I have a cheapo OBD2 scanner, and there are some 'odd' looking readings from the live stream. There are no codes or warning lights.

@Idle, after a c. 100km drive
LOAD_PCT: 84.3
ETC: 86
MAP (kPA): 100
RPM: 801
Speed: 0
IAT: 33
MAF (g/s): 13.36
FRP: 25050

@2700 RPM:
LOAD_PCT: 82.7
ETC: 87
MAP: 100
RPM: 2685
IAT: 35
MAF (g/s): 41.55
FRP: 58900

I've looked at the OBD2 when cold and the engine is idling, and the results were very close to the idle above.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything odd looking here? The high LOAD_PCT value, which seems persistent, would suggest a lack of air?

I was thinking of giving the MAF sensor a blast of cleaner, but is there anything else which is jumping out to people more expert than me? I would be worried that the jeep won't tow well given the lack of power, and that was one of the reasons why I bought it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does the "zig-zag" warning light show on the dash? This signifies an injection system fault &, at least on mine, does not show up any codes. Your symptoms are very similar to what happens when this light shows - it seems to prevent the turbo from boosting, leading to a serious lack of oomph. I'd check the turbo boost control solenoid (forgot the proper name for it ) its easy to get to on the left side of the engine bay when standing in front of the car. Also check that the variable vanes on the turbo are free to move.
Touch wood my zig zag light is currently off & car is fine, but I have had occasional issues, as yet unresolved, with this (as have many others!). It seems to come about after many short trips, but I have had the light appear, & lack of power, suddenly in the middle of a 200 mile motorway trip as well , so who knows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some more data (and more questions)

I pulled the boost pressure control solenoid and did the first stage of the test: it has a resistance level within tolerances. I didn't do a vacuum test yet, but will over the weekend.

I then idled the car and while running, I disconnected the MAF sensor. She dropped power straight away, ran rough for about 2 seconds and then died.

Reconnecting, she started fine.

Assuming the boost solenoid is working fine, would that suggest a leak? I can't see how an inherent turbo problem would cause these symptoms (low power in the higher gears but good power in the low gears, removal of MAF causing a very fast stall). I'm trying to rule out a turbo problem and there are no codes throwing.

I was thinking that I might pull the MAF sensor, clean it using MAF spray just in case it has been causing the engine to run lean.

If the car is running at, e.g., 3k RPM, should I expect to see the wastegate actuator move? Would there be enough load on the engine for a spray of soapy water on the pipes to cause bubbling if there is a link? Could there be a leak in the intercooler?

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
Do the boost control vanes in the turbo move freely? They are known to jam up close to closed (low boost) giving power just off idle and not a lot as revs rise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts