Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
It might, or it might resolve neither - what have you got to loose? A can of carburetor/throttle body cleaner and half an hour of your time.

Reactions: raufmalikgroup

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Two things I have been noticing for a while now, one is the starting, during cranking, at times it starts with one crank and at times it starts but the rpm is so low it seems it will die again and with throttle input it comes to life, at times I have to crank 4-5 times before it starts. is it something to do with ignition coil?

The other issue is that throttle response, lets suppose car is on an uphill gradient, by applying brake and throttle combination allows for starting from stand still without rolling back, yes I'm aware handbrake can be utilized but I'm pointing out towards the delay in engine reviving to accommodate the slope. Any indication as to what would be the reason of a delayed throttle response.

appreciate your thoughts,
That throttle response is normal, my manual 2013 does it too,
Its called " brake pedal override" where the ecm detects the brake is applied and gives it priority
Its a safety feature designed so if you hit the brake and accelerator at the same time the engine cuts power and gives the brake priority
Try 2 foot driving, and while applying power in a straight line, press the brake pedal with your left foot firmly, then let foot off the brake, I bet the car keeps slowing down until you release the gas pedal then re apply it.

The automatic does it too, but since it holds on a slope at idle its not an issue.

Use the hand brake for hill starts

Fordems reset is correct for idle speed but the big step is DONT TOUCH ANY PEDALS
Feet flat on the floor, key on, wait 30 seconds, then start. Esp warning will also be on until you do a few tens of metres in a straight line to reset the steering angle sensor.
Might run rough for a few days until it sorts out fuel trims etc

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
I'm not suggesting he disconnects the battery, just remove the throttle body & clean it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You won't reset the throttle body fully without resetting the ecm in the 3G versions, the ecm remembers the resistance settings on the tps as long as the key isn't cycled while its unplugged.
If you do cycle the key it will set position error, open circuit motor and a few others. Then you need to clear codes and run thru the idle relearn process.
I've experienced this cleaning throttle body's on a few of these now, its a pain. Clean them and they won't idle at correct point. Reset the ecm and they come right. Don't ask me why they do it that way, I would have thought they would sweep at key on but they only drive them open to the appropriate idle position based on the ecm memory

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
Its called " brake pedal override" where the ecm detects the brake is applied and gives it priority
Hill hold control

The hill hold control function makes hill starts easier in the Vitara by preventing the car from rolling backwards for two seconds when the driver moves their foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.
Taken from the page below...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If hill hold is fitted, rare option on the 3G models sold here as nz new ones, but I've seen imports with it fitted, switch for it is where the esp off button is, if its fitted theres a split switch. Neither of mine have it. You have to activate it every time you want to use it on the 3G models too, its not "on" by default

Its on the 4th gen ones for sure (which is the link you have provided) , but very rare on the 3G models, but as far as I know, brake pedal override was standard across the 3G range as a safety feature.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts