Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
Rack & pinion or ring & pinion? Rack & pinion is the type of steering, ring & pinion is the reduction gears in the front & rear axles.

You haven't told us what size tires you have fitted, and that I suspect is where your "sluggishness" is coming from, I'm not aware of anyone doing gears for the third gens.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
In my experience, anything over around 6% (regardless of engine size) is enough to be felt - how much you feel it is going to vary with transmission type, the nature of the terrain you drive (flat vs hilly), and also how perceptive the driver is, also third gens aren't noted for being quick off the line, even on OE sized tires.

Braking is also going to be adversely affected.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
My new tires added 6mm in height gain.
A 6mm difference is neither here nor there - it's roughly the difference between a tire that needs replacement and the new tire that's going to replace it - the tread blocks on the General Grabber A/TX tires I put on my Jimny (215/75R15, so not particularly large) have 10mm depth.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
First - don't be put off by 2013GV's negative approach (or mine for that matter) - anti-sway (or anti-roll) bars limit articulation on both solid axle and independent suspension designs, and people have been removing & discarding the anti-roll bars from their first & second generation Vitaras & Grand Vitaras for decades.

I need you to recognize a couple of things ...

First - fitting that requires a section of the bar to be cut out and that "disconnect" welded in - the heat will affect the "temper" of the bar.

An anti-roll bar is not just a piece of steel, it is, so to speak, an "assist spring", you can reduce roll by fitting stiffer springs, but that makes for a harsher ride, the anti-roll bar allows for both wheels on the same end of the vehicle to move up & down together freely (so no increase in overall spring rate), but if the wheel on one side moves up/down without the other moving (due to body roll in a turn), the bar resists the movement, effectively increasing the spring rate there.

Let's read that paragraph again - if the wheel on one side moves up/down without the other moving (due to body roll in a turn), the bar resists the movement, effectively increasing the spring rate there - the exact same thing happens if the "terrain" under the vehicle is not level or even - one wheel goes up because of an uneven surface, the bar will attempt to move the other one up - if one wheel needs to go down because of a rut on one side, the bar will attempt to prevent it, limiting the articulation.

You most likely already know this, so why am I stressing it? To make sure you understand that the anti-roll (anti-sway) bar is a spring, and that heating it affects the temper of the steel.

Second - unless that vehicle is level when it is time to remove/insert that "pin" - you're likely to have difficulty - for removal the pin will bind and be difficult to pull out, for insertion, the holes may not line up.

Last but not least - I expect that "disconnect" to shear the pin in a very short time.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
Try cleaning the throttle body - once that's been done, when you reconnect it, switch the ignition on but do not start the engine, wait about 30 seconds for the drive-by-wire system to recalibrate itself, and then start the engine.

Reactions: raufmalikgroup

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
It might, or it might resolve neither - what have you got to loose? A can of carburetor/throttle body cleaner and half an hour of your time.

Reactions: raufmalikgroup

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
I'm not suggesting he disconnects the battery, just remove the throttle body & clean it.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
Its called " brake pedal override" where the ecm detects the brake is applied and gives it priority
Hill hold control

The hill hold control function makes hill starts easier in the Vitara by preventing the car from rolling backwards for two seconds when the driver moves their foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.
Taken from the page below...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts