Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently modified my GV-2007 by installing negative offset rims , maxxis MT tyres and 45mm lift kit. this further required to widen the wheel arches so some cutting was necessary. the other reason was to have enough room for snow chains if needed.

im happy with the end result however it has gone a bit sluggish, I'm looking at rack and pinion gear replacement to increase torque and bring it inline with standard gearing. any ideas who i need to turn to by gearing needs?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rack & pinion or ring & pinion? Rack & pinion is the type of steering, ring & pinion is the reduction gears in the front & rear axles.

You haven't told us what size tires you have fitted, and that I suspect is where your "sluggishness" is coming from, I'm not aware of anyone doing gears for the third gens.
245/75R16 tyres, thank you for the correction. 4x4Art used to make them but have stopped. I was informed some Italian companies still make it but unable to find any names at the moment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the increase due to tire size, new tire is 6.8% larger in dia. as opposed to the standard one and 8.2% wider, revolution per km has changed by 7.3%. Was wondering if this difference needs gear ratio correction?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is 2.0L gasoline Manual transmission, 138HP. Aim was to create an adventure vehicle, bigger tires provides it will adequate flotation on loose ground. no complaints on that front. it would be interesting to see if someone come out with portal axle kind of arrangement for IFS. This would resolve camber adjustments, will offer lower gearing ratios and the lift restrictions on most of the IFS arrangements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2.0 will certainly notice the bigger tyres, when compared to the 2.4 4 cylinder the 2.0 is definitely down on power.

Get adjustable camber bolts for the front.

I'm running 235/60/18 on mine and go all the places the others can go, its just the ground clearance that's the issue.
ground clearance issue has been completely resolved on mine as it has gained almost 100mm to the stock. coupled with shorter wheelbase compared to bigger SUVs helps it even more. on mud tracks and slower runs it is perfecly fine, open highway it struggles with power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be installing manual sway bar disconnect by HTM motoring in next few weeks or so and lets hope it does what HTM is portraying. Anyone tested this before? link below.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two things I have been noticing for a while now, one is the starting, during cranking, at times it starts with one crank and at times it starts but the rpm is so low it seems it will die again and with throttle input it comes to life, at times I have to crank 4-5 times before it starts. is it something to do with ignition coil?

The other issue is that throttle response, lets suppose car is on an uphill gradient, by applying brake and throttle combination allows for starting from stand still without rolling back, yes I'm aware handbrake can be utilized but I'm pointing out towards the delay in engine reviving to accommodate the slope. Any indication as to what would be the reason of a delayed throttle response.

appreciate your thoughts,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts