Suzuki Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on the benefits/ problems of merely using strut and spring block lifters as opposed to totally new springs and shockers. Big difference in out lay. I have no experience in lifting so would welcome knowledgeable input. Reading this thread it appears to be consensus that 40mm is max that won't cause CV problems.
Greg
Another advantage to properly selected lift springs is stability - the center of gravity on a lifted vehicle is higher, and in most cases a higher center of gravity causes increased roll - stiffer springs can reduce this roll, lift blocks will not.

Please note that properly selected - a vehicle can be lifted by fitting longer springs or stiffer springs - many people have "cobbled" together vehicle lifts by visiting the nearest junk yard and hunting down springs that visually appear to be suitable candidates and then trying them, no math involved and no knowledge of the original or new spring rates.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by the last sentence plse
The rear will have less travel when lifted if a longer shock or extension is not used.
The front will have limited travel unless you use a sway bar disconnect. You can lift it with spacers and still have nice travel but not as much as new springs but will still be limited if you leave the sway bar connected. If your doing as 2013GV talked about and hitting deep ruts then you will need all the travel you can get and possibly a locker. A lift Alone is not the cure.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have an Ironman kit on mine. It came with a camber (?) adjust bolt for both front sides. The installer said they fitted them both into what they though might be the correct setting. I got the vehicle aligned later and everything was perfect so they made the right guess.
With the OEM suspension I was quite happy with the way the vehicle cornered. After fitting of the Ironman there was a slight change for the worse, obviously caused by higher cg etc, but the change was only just detectable and since it was running higher off the ground (nominally 40mm) you would expect to have to make some slight changes in how you corner anyway. To me anything that is just detectable may be me thinking it only.

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah, the amount of lift kits for the post 2008 on series are slim pickings.

Ignore the engine , body style changes are what matters. I have a 2015, but the underbody Armour for the 2008 model fits with no mods, same bolt holes. Engines changed but the body didn't. Major change was the disk brakes on the rear on the later models. As long as you are looking at that which i think was 2008 on, then there should be no difference in lift kits.

ARB do an old man Emu 20 mm kit https://www.arb.com.au/suzuki-grand-vitara-2012-present/old-man-emu-4x4-suspension/

Ironman do a 40 mm SUZ019BKG is the kit name Grand Vitara 2005+ Suspension Kit - Performance with Gas Shocks LWB

check the kits tho, as the pictures on the websites don't match the contents. The GV will have Macpherson front struts, not plan shocks.
So you definitely think the SUZ019BKG lift kit would work on a 2012 GV?

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
So you definitely think the SUZ019BKG lift kit would work on a 2012 GV?
Get that confirmed via an official quote from ironman. I make no guarentee it will fit your one. Give them all the vehicle details then it's on them if it doesnt fit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get that confirmed via an official quote from ironman. I make no guarentee it will fit your one. Give them all the vehicle details then it's on them if it doesnt fit
Makes sense. It odd as their website says their are no options for 2012+, but yes for 2005+. I know for sure that a 2010 suspension will fit on a 2012 so it must fit. Look at the last option. It offers a 2005-2015 constant load kit. This re-emphasises that the SUZ019BKG kit should fit.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts