Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a few threads, mostly old and out of date with some information on various lift kit. The purpose of this thread is to get all the info listed in one place, and provide, height, price and links for each. 3G (2006-2014) Grand Vitara only.

Dodinson: 1.5-2"/40mm-50mm Lift. $??? – Consists of Coil springs, front and rear. New shocks and camber adjustment kit.
JT Series (08/05 on) | Dobinsons Spring & Suspension – Official Site

Ironman 4x4: 1.5"/40mm Lift. $805 USD – Consists of FRONT & REAR 40mm RAISED HEIGHT Coil Springs and L/T Nitro Gas Front Struts, L/T Nitro Gas Rear Shocks.
Grand Vitara 2005+ Suspension Kit - Performance with Gas Shocks LWB - Ironman 4x4

Jimnybits: 2"/50mm Lift. £334 – Consists of Pro Comps ES1000 rear shocks, upgraded rear springs, 50mm solid steel billet front strut spacers.
New Grand Vitara 50mm / 2" Pro Comp Lift Kit - Grand Vitara (06-15) - JIMNYBITS

Old Man Emu: .75"/20mm. $334 - Old Man Emu coil springs front and back, either medium duty or heavy duty (does this kid also come with struts?)Grand Vitara Old Man Emu: OME for Suzuki Grand Vitara

Rocky Road: 2.125"/54mm Lift. $249 – Consists of steel over the top style strut spacers, steel rear spacers, camber alignment bolts, and RRO rear shocks.
Grand Vitara Lift:*Suzuki Grand Vitara Lift and XL7, 2006 and Newer

Trail Master: 2"/50mm Lift. £730.80 – Looks like there's several different version of this kit out there, or there used to be. Some seem to come with body spacers and other don't.
New Grand Vitara 50mm / 2" Lift Kit - Grand Vitara (06-15) - JIMNYBITS
Trail Master News

SRS Customs: Are they still in business? There's lots of talk of a 2 inch from them on the forum but all links seem to be dead.
http://www.sr-customs.com/

Ebay Seller: tema4x4: 1"/25 mm lift. $162 Shipped Includes: 25 mm Lift Front Spacers (x2) & Bolts, steel, polymer coating. 25 mm Lift Rear Spacers (x2), polyurethane.
Suzuki Grand Vitara Lift Kit 30mm 2006 2015 | eBay

Ebay Sller: ozautoparts: 1.25"/30 mm lift. AU $800.00 - Rear KYB excel-g shocks, front KYB excel-g struts, front and rear King springs.
Suzuki Grand Vitara JB627 V6 Diesel 30mm Lift KYB Shocks King Springs Kit | eBay

If you have any info or correction, please contribute. Let me know if there are options I've missed, or incorrect information posted. Also we could add links to threads/reviews of specific kits.

·
Super Moderator
13,198 Posts
Old Man Emu: .75"/20mm. $334 - Old Man Emu coil springs front and back, either medium duty or heavy duty (does this kid also come with struts?)Grand Vitara Old Man Emu: OME for Suzuki Grand Vitara
Your link is to Rocky Road Outfitters and not Old Man Emu - the reason I'm pointing this out is Rocky Road sometimes assembles their own kits, using what ever components they see fit, and my comments do not relate to a Rocky Road collection of parts.

Old Man Emu does not offer a lift kit for the Grand Vitara - they do offer springs and struts/shocks to match, and based on their current catalogue (December 2015, #31), there is no choice of medium/heavy duty springs, the spring choices available are matched to the engine size/weight.

It should be noted that in many cases what Old Man Emu offers is not a lift per se, but a choice of suspension components that are intended to improve ride quality and at the same time allow the vehicle to be used in a loaded condition with no loss of ride height - fitting these suspension components will typically result in a small lift, as in this case.

You can contact Old Man Emu directly through email and they will advise you on what is available for your vehicle, and if there are multiple options, they can also assist with the correct selection.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Thanks for compiling and sharing! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
According to the additional info segment in the ad...

"Product Description
Fits: 1999-2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2WD and 4WD."

So I assume ONLY that platform.

·
Registered
443 Posts
May we sticky this? The question gets asked from time to time and I think it would be beneficial for people considering lift kits.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Your info (link) has already been added to the "Parts" sticky. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just thought I'd post my experience with the Ironman struts. I have had them in for about 18 months and probably done around 40-50,000kms. The front right has been a bit rattly for a while, while the rest have been fine. However on the weekend the front left gave out with no warning at all. A lot of oil was ejected and it stopped dampening almost entirely. At the time I was on a short, moderate difficulty off road track, I was taking it pretty easy so heat shouldn't have been an issue, and the car had nothing but me and a few odds and ends in it - I was quite surprised at it's failure all in all.

Luckily I kept the factory originals and was close to home so I went and swapped out the dead strut for one of the originals. All went smoothly except as I was torquing up the last bolt (the Ironman Camber adjustable bolt) it simply broke off! I was using a quality torque wrench and, even without that I can say that I wasn't applying a lot of force. My friend and I were dumbfounded it broke so easily. Anyway, once again I luckily still had the original bolt so popped it in and was on the road again (albeit with a slightly incorrect camber).

So, I'm pretty disappointed, and don't trust the Ironman stuff much at all now. No wonder the camber bolts are much cheaper than the competition. I've ordered a set of struts and camber bolts from Dobinsons, but apparently they are out of stock until January, so in the mean time the factory strut and dodgy camber will suffice.

·
Super Moderator
13,198 Posts
Just thought I'd mention it - a couple of weeks daily driving, maybe a thousand miles or so, with the camber and toe out of whack will put some serious wear on the front tires ...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mine ironman lift kit is still strong but I have not been doing much offroading lately.
A bit too firm to my liking nad the reduced flex is actually disapointing but it stays level when towing a small trailer so that's good.

Now ironman has closed it's only distributor in Canada so I have no extra parts available at reasonable cost.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also, the ironman struts are 20 mm longer in the body below the spring perch, so one side of your car will be lower than the other.

I'm not terribly impressed with the ironman stuff either, I have had one strut replaced under warranty for excessive rattling and noise. Its replacement is nearly as bad, but thankfully only when you top it out. I had to drive around with mismatched front struts while they ordered a replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi!
I am Alex. I seller from Ebay Tema4x4.
We have diferent lift kits for Suzuki.
If you have any questions, I will happy to answer.
P.S. Ssory for my English :)
Hi Alex,

Are camber adjustable bolts needed for the 30mm kit? If yes, which ones would you recommend that will suit the kit well?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bump.

Every couple of years I get really excited that I'm going to get a lift kit, then I don't. Does anyone have any experience with EFS or the Munroe kit that has King springs? Moth kits are in the price range of the Dobson, that I thought would be good but read in another thread one guy is taking his out because they bang all the time?
One of the reasons I want it is not just for ground clearance but to get better traction because I have the 09 model with the stupid traction control. I tried to get up Slingshot at Wilbinga and thought my clutch was melting but later found out that was the traction control braking every wheel which lost traction and eventually bringing me to a halt.

Recommendations? (please don't say let the tires down, any lower and they'll just slip off the rim and I'm already just slipping around on the belly trying to get some purchase)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think a lift will change anything in the traction department.

I've been researching this lately and have been disappointed that most lift kits only raise the vehicle, but maintain stock wheel travel. The Ironman is the only one I can confirm increases articulation, but I cannot find specs on are the Dobinsons (are they still in business?) and the EFS kits. Anyone have extended+compressed measures for the provided shocks+struts?

As far as I can tell the only kit worth considering over a simple spacer kit is the ironman one.

My data (work in progress):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1leUJH30wkqBcbc-Nyg6P6j9Tp2hi8gcBIZR-ONtuopI/edit?usp=drivesdk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice list. I could only find figures for Ironman so this is very useful.

I noticed on the KYB specs list there is a 3dr deisel...that would be sick! I'd love to put a deisel in mine if the petrol ever dies (hopefully doesn't though).

I would have thought the maximum compression of the installed kit/package would be about the spring, not the strut/shock. So potentially if the spring is very hard (as I have heard the Ironman are) you would never get close to full compression of the strut/shock and would get a lower amount of available travel? Just my guess.

I have some part number to help fill your list.

The KYB rear is 343435

The Iron Man front Nitro Gas is 12721GR
The Iron Man rear Nitro Gas is 12722GR

The OME front Nitrocharger are N217S and N218S
The OME rear Nitrocharger are OME036 (OME rear not currently on list)
(I couldn't find the compression and extension figures though and I'm a bit dubious about how the front max being 3-4 inches less than all others when the lift is under 1 inch less, you'd be riding at full extension at all times)

The Munroe front are 35-0643 and 35-0644
The Munroe rear are 15-0649

The bilstein and PCmx 6053 will be too long on the rear as the min is 2 inches longer than the rest you'd be hitting the full compression all the time (not to mention the rest are that length for a lift already so if you're going for springs with an extra two (to accommodate these shocks) you'd need a certificate?
Are you sure the es3000 will fit? The size looks right but the Procomp USA official site says nothing they make fits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers! I've added the info.

About the ProComps and Blisteins, others have suggested those models, but I agree with your thoughts given the numbers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bump.

Every couple of years I get really excited that I'm going to get a lift kit, then I don't. Does anyone have any experience with EFS or the Munroe kit that has King springs? Moth kits are in the price range of the Dobson, that I thought would be good but read in another thread one guy is taking his out because they bang all the time?
One of the reasons I want it is not just for ground clearance but to get better traction because I have the 09 model with the stupid traction control. I tried to get up Slingshot at Wilbinga and thought my clutch was melting but later found out that was the traction control braking every wheel which lost traction and eventually bringing me to a halt.

Recommendations? (please don't say let the tires down, any lower and they'll just slip off the rim and I'm already just slipping around on the belly trying to get some purchase)

As mentioned above, lift won't give you traction. Most lift kits have firmer than stock springs and therefore articulation is compromised, mainly because of the way the independent suspension is set up in these. If you want grip/ traction best bet is a locker .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you know anyone that has done that? You would need a switch to disengage the ABS when it engages the locker right? I think that's probably a pretty expensive thing to do on a GV, would you need to replace the diff?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts