Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Nice to have this community which is very informative due to good people that are ready to share their experience and knowledge.
I have a plan to buy Grand Vitara 2.0 petrol engine (2007.) My question is does this model have traction control if it has ESP button? Actually the question is does every model with ESP also have Traction control? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
depends on the market it was sold in and its configuration.
If it has an "ESP Off" button then it should have TC, but the early ones were nowhere as good as the later ones with the modified control algorithms.
Go find a greasy paddock and have a play.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You dont really need TC if I'm honest mate, well it also depends on what you are using your GV for and where you're mostly driving. I've got a 2016 2.4L auto dune which does NOT have TC but where I drive, which is mostly sandy and muddy conditions you don't want TC, you need your wheels to spin ( hence the name "Dune" ), however if your using it for places like mountain passes where there is a lot of rocky, steep climbing and so forth then TC will help but again, you dont need it because the GV unlike most 4x4s is a full time 4x4 so you have equal power to each wheel all the time, the Summit is the GV that comes with TC (again, hence the name "Summit"), however I'm not too sure if the earlier models come with TC

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
You dont really need TC if I'm honest mate, well it also depends on what you are using your GV for and where you're mostly driving. I've got a 2016 2.4L auto dune which does NOT have TC but where I drive, which is mostly sandy and muddy conditions you don't want TC, you need your wheels to spin ( hence the name "Dune" ), however if your using it for places like mountain passes where there is a lot of rocky, steep climbing and so forth then TC will help but again, you dont need it because the GV unlike most 4x4s is a full time 4x4 so you have equal power to each wheel all the time, the Summit is the GV that comes with TC (again, hence the name "Summit"), however I'm not too sure if the earlier models come with TC
You dont have equal power to each wheel. The transfer case splits 48 / 52 front to rear, and if one wheel is spinning and transfer is in 4H then 100% of power will be going to that wheel. This is why the traction control is important, to stop this from happening. Want to prove this, stick one wheel at each end on a roller and see if you can drive off the rollers.

I think you will find the only difference between the summit and dune is the trim level, sunroof , headlights and esp. ESP is different to TC

All models have traction control according to my service manuals which is what makes them so good off road.

The Dune models may not have the "esp off" button but i think you will find they still have traction control.

My 2015 will spin the wheels in 4H even more in 4HL and a lot in 4LL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts