Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made it to the junkyard and found a nice set of Dodge Neon seats in excellent condition. Cost me $150/set which is little more than some people have paid, but I'm limited in my choice of junkyards and $150 is sure better than $600.

Installation tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

They sure felt comfortable sitting in the wreck and in the garage!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Seats are in. Hardest part of the job was busting the sliders loose from the Neon seats. There's more to it than the iZook article indicates but I took notes and pictures and will flesh up that article a little more. The front bolts fit perfectly as noted there. When it came time to put the rear bolts in, no holes line up with anything and I had a perfectly good welder sitting there, so I just welded the seat to the slider.

Seats are really comfortable with great lumbar support. 100% better than what was in there. I gained some leg room, either because of the seats themselves or because I got the sliders working better. Dunno which, but I have too much leg room on the driver's side now. Note that Neon seats recline but do NOT tilt forward. Doesn't bother me because I don't even have a rear seat in my Sammy, but it might bother someone else.

I also took the time to clean the interior as there was a lot of dirt and a lot of broken glass from a busted window. Strange thing- when I took it for a spin, it was much quieter- I wonder if the broken glass was "tinging" on the metal interior?

Pictures:
To get to the rivets that have to be drilled out, you need to remove the seat bottom. This is the part not mentioned in the iZook article and I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out the seats before I realized that the bottom HAD to come off. That's done by removing the plastic protector and then 1 bolt on each side:

Drill out the rivets. I don't have a punch, so I used my chisel to make an X and that held the drill bit well enough. Can't get a grinder in there. The weld at the end needs to be cut:

Gotta grind this weld off, too:

This is the tack weld I did on the seat rear, rather than bolt it on.

Here's my helper testing the driver's seat:

Seats installed! Whole job took just over 3 hours.

Bonus! I found a quarter under the passenger seat. I gave it to my helper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next thing I need to do is pull the steering wheel and put it on straight. It went about 20 deg right when I did the OME suspension. This is an aftermarket steering wheel but I assume the center section will pry off and there'll be the steering nut. We'll see, I guess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have been wanting to do the same to my zuk,my seats are trashed!Mine is an 88' so what year neon do I need to look for or does it matter??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.. what year neon do I need to look for or does it matter??
I don't know. I didn't ask- I just found one. And mine actually wasn't even a Neon, it was the "same brand equivalent", like Chevy/GMC. I'm sure the junkyard will know.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ok,thanks.We have a place here in nashville called "pull -a -part"and seats are only $22 each for any vehicle.I just didnt know which to get year wise.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I do know that the vehicle mine came from was pretty new, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I just hit Google and mine was a Plymouth, not a Dodge. Still a Neon, evidently.

If you want to call, the place I got mine from was High Plains Salvage, (806) 244-4990, Dalhart TX. You can say something like "About a month ago, a guy came in and bought some seats from a Dodge Neon for his Suzuki Samurai. He was picking up a horse trailer that day and you guys talked about home-schooling. Do you remember the year of that Neon?" He'll remember me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts