Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a difference in the drive. Nice and smooth and flat in the corners. Raised about 40-50 mm, will get exact after 500 klm check-up. Next is a set of General tires Grabber AT2 @ 235/70/R16. It'll be nice to get it higher off the ground. Got some sand and shitty road driving planned. Yee-haw.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is this just a shock/spring kit, or was there more to it?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, shocks and springs.

As I stated, shocks and springs. The most notable difference being in the construction. I could easily lift the original 4 shocks and springs in a box. The ARB suspension is quite heavy to lift and must weigh 50% more due to the robust construction. Designed for having fun in the rough stuff. Well worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump stops?

Never even crossed my mind to have a look there. Just like looking at the bright yellow of the shocks and shiny new springs. Can hardly wait for the Gripper AT2 tyres on Wednesday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it's like their XL-7 kit you also get modified bump stops.
Any Details on that kit? Is there any spring choices like Extra heavy? I am looking mostly to get some extra heavys in the back for some extra load carrying and towing tongue weight capacity.

Any other options for that outside of ARB? Any part numbers or prices?

TIA!
JJG
03 2.7 XL7

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You'd have to contact someone who sells their gear- I got prices probably 5 years ago, so my memory isn't that good on the specifics. I settled for just fitting decent quality replacement shocks as I didn't require the extra clearance.

PS: I've found the stock rear springs in mine quite good for load carrying and towing. Even 15 x 20kg bags of cement loaded in the rear wasn't too bad!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suspension parts details

From ARB store, supply and fit.

The springs are 200 KG rated. There is no other option. They are rated as medium.

Front springs 2959 Front shocks N1035
Rear springs 2961 Rear shocks N105

Surprisingly great comfort levels and no sag when fully loaded. I hauled a twin axle trailer loaded up and it didn't sag.
Overall about 50 mm lift.

Cost was $1,388 with wheel alignment.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
I hauled a twin axle trailer loaded up and it didn't sag.
Not detracting from your OME suspension (I'm running OME also and it's great), but, not sagging when towing a loaded twin axle trailer provides no assessment of the vehicle suspension.

A properly loaded trailer (single or twin axle) should have no more than 10% of it's weight on the tongue - the GV is rated to tow 1500 lbs, so that's 150 lbs, no worse than putting one more person in the back of the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I will add a little more info. Yes I think the stock suspension was great when it was new. I added a third seat belt to the third row of my XL7 and on occasion would run with 4 adults and 4 children or 2 adults and 4 children with gear to the hilt on occasion. The little workhorse always handled it fine. Now many years and 260K miles later I can feel the car hitting the bumps stops when trying the same feats. The car is still on its original suspension so it is well overdue.

The XL7 is rated for 3K lbs. That means around 300lb on very rear most piece of the vehicle (the ball) where it will provide the most leverage. So imagine a XL7 with my family of 6 and maybe one of the kids friends to make 7 loaded with gear, a Thule box on top, towing a small 3K boat or camping trailer going out for a road trip somewhere. As I need to replace the suspension anyway, I would want a suspension that can handle that load with some reserve. The scenario above is all perfectly feasible and within the design parameters of the little overachieving workhorse XL7.

TIA,
J

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
Like I said, I wasn't criticizing your choice - in your place I would have done the same - the point was that the sag or lack thereof caused by a trailer is not an indicator of suspension quality.

If the car was unloaded and adding a trailer caused an issue the problem would have been an improperly loaded trailer.

If the car was fully loaded and adding a trailer cause an issue the problem - you have two potential causes, either the trailer loading or an overloaded vehicle caused by a combination of the vehicle load and the trailer loading.

Both scenarios are "operator error" and neither reflects on the quality of the suspension - mind you - if the suspension was in poor condition, it would be easier to create either scenario.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No Worries, Just hoping someone here can recommend from experience a suspension kit from any manufacturer that will provide some extra lift and load carrying capacity because my sag and hitting the bump stops is a most definitely an indicator of a poor suspension quality :D

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
OK - I've just realized you are not the original poster - so some of what was said in the previous post is not applicable - that's what you get when you piggyback on someone else's thread.

First - sagging to the bump stops is NOT a sign of poor suspension quality - take your pick between either an overloaded vehicle or one with tired & sagging suspension, possibly from repeated overloading.

Call your local OME dealer (or ARB directly) and discuss your needs with them - they can supply springs for your XL-7 that will improve it's load carrying capabilities.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
jjg, I'm surprised you're still on stock suspension at that mileage :eek:. I replaced the factory shock absorbers on mine at 49000km - they weren't doing the job then. IMHO the XL-7 rears weren't up to the task from the day they left factory. ;)

Just remember stiffer springs can help level out the ride height, but they won't magically allow you to over load the vehicle past the manufacturer specs. New shocks (decent quality) and load leveling airbags (fitted inside the rear springs) could be a feasible option without ruining the ride when it's not loaded.

The local specs for ball weight are also only 85kg (187lb) or 140kg (308lb) with load leveling equipment. That's with the heaviest duty tow bar available here, which is rated for a towing mass of 1850kg (4070lb). So, it would pay to check your owner's manual!

PS: There's a big spiel on here somewhere about gross combined vehicle mass - something it sounds like you could be exceeding?

·
Registered
48 Posts
David, All,
Yep the suspension is still all original and the higher of spec of your tongue rate sounds right. Over here they were rated for 3000 lbs towing capacity with a 300lb tongue weight. My U-Haul brand lift with a 2" receiver is rated for the same. BTW if anyone is interested, The "U-Haul" sold and installed receiver hitch is much better than the genuine Suzuki one. I almost fell down laughing when I looked a genuine Suzuki hitch on an XL7. What where they thinking when they designed that hitch?

Anyway my point was the vehicle was designed to carry 7 passengers and tow a 3K load with a 300lb tongue weight. I would like to find shocks/springs/struts that can do that well even if it means it will run a little stiff and high unloaded. I guess I will have to talk to an ARB/ OME dealer. I just figured the guys here would have the numbers all worked out already. If it was a Land Cruiser forum about 10 people would have quickly responded OME 850J/863j springs with N73L,N74L Shocks which I am running on my FZJ80.

Thanks again,
John

PS Fordem, If I load 7 passenger in my XL7 and go for a ride that touches even the smallest bumps, Every single passenger in the vehicle would most certainly agree my XL7 has poor suspension quaility. :D :D :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I just realized I am posting in the wrong section. I will try this over in the XL7 section. Maybe someone will have some suspension bits to recommend over there. Thanks again!
-J
03 xl7 260K miles and poor suspension quality. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Actually, I just had a quick browse through the owners manual (Aussie version) and found a "Recommended General Towing Capacity" listed for a braked trailer of 1350kg (3000lb) for the XL-7. So that matches up with your earlier figure. Interesting wording they've used as it doesn't actually say that's the maximum. :huh:

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is where you'll come unstuck. The specified Gross Vehicle Mass rating is 2300kg (5071lb) - with an axle rating of 1105kg (2436lb) front and 1350kg (2976lb rear).

The auto trans XL-7 is rated as being 1750kg (3858lb) kerb weight. So then add in 7 people - let's say allowing 70kg each average- will add 490kg (~1090lb) alone! Then add some luggage and the down force of the trailer.... you could quickly exceed the GVM of 2300kg/ 5071lb!

If you're after part numbers, Koni make some excellent shocks (adjustable) that fit the XL-7 - part number for the fronts is 8741-1394Sport . The rears don't appear to be listed :confused: but I've got them on the rear of mine as well. They made a huge difference when fitted at 49000km and are still perfect at 115000km.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks David,
Yes that was what I was after. Part numbers for shocks and springs that were proven by other xl7 owners to increase the load carrying capacity and improve handling characteristics. Thanks for the advise on the Konis. I will check them out when I am ready to order suspension bits.

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
Just my opinion (and that's worth what you're paying for it)

Don't expect the Konis to do much with the scenario you've described - they aren't going to improve the "load carrying capacity", and if you're already sagging & engaging the bump stops when loaded, that will continue to happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts