Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not looking to spend a lot..theres one on ebay for like-140 i think its a rampage..

are the cheap ones alright? i dont want it to leak obviously, and want it to fit right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am not looking to spend a lot..theres one on ebay for like-140 i think its a rampage..

are the cheap ones alright? i dont want it to leak obviously, and want it to fit right.
trash.... if you can afford spending another $140 next year to replace it again, sure why not?

Do it once, do it right. Get a bestop replace a softop.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
when did it come out, and what is the price on them? I'd like to see someone make one with the zip out side windows. I think bestop used to make one, but it's been off the market for quite a few years now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a guy here in San Antonio on CL that has some 1/2 tops for $50 NIB. I plan on getting one on thursday. Limited colors and not sure if he has any full tops. Check him out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pretty sad when somebody calls your Rampage top trash.... I have this marine grade top with tinted windows. It looks great and was a perfect fit right out of the box.

I did place insulated .5 pipe wrap over my side bows though. This is an old trick I learned to prevent the scuff marks on my new windows. It will also help to deflect wind flap noise when the windows are down and the back window is not rolled up.

I had a Bestop on my CJ 7 and they are good tops too. I beleive them to be overpriced and you pay alot for the names sake though. I found the top on my CJ was difficult to put on. It is a very tight fit and it continued to get tighter as time went on and with age.

I think you should consider this top and save the extra $$$ to buy other fun stuff for your ride. If you want a link to the Ebay store I purchased mine from send me a PM and I will give it to you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, I guess you can call me a sucker, 'cause I bought one of those cheap tops off Ebay, too. Works just fine for me. Keeps out the weather, fits great and I can see out the windows. I've put 2000 miles on the Sammy since I put the top on it and it hasn't blown off yet. It still looks like new. I'm quite sure it will last longer than one year. I spent $800 for a Bestop, for my FJ40 and it's a nice top. But, it's not five times better than the cheap one I bought for the Sammy. I went through two Bestops on my old CJ5. Wearing out was not the issue. Tree limbs wiped out both of them, long before daily driving caused any problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Bestop for a Samurai goes for about $250 shipped.

It's the only top I've had, so I can't compare it to other Samurai tops, but it does not even begin to compare with other convertible tops I've had on Miata's. My Miata tops have had much thicker material.

You can get a sailcloth Samurai top for $450 and a Stayfast canvas top for $750. Same plastic windows though...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got mine from Low Range Off road for $250 and its a Best Top brand.If your going to spend the money dont go ebay just get a best top....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the black fabric top is different than the black vinyl top. With sunfast cloth, the canvas/denim tops are just as durable as the vinyl tops anymore. It comes down to asthetic preferences. Mat or shiny? I think the vinyl is easier to clean, but it comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My guess is the vinyl window(s) are going to crack after a few seasons.

Do it right, spend the extra $90 and get a Best top soft top.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sometimes paying extra $$$ doesn't necessarily mean you get additional value. I have had a Rampage top on my Vitara for over 3 years now. It doesn't get garaged and it is still in as good as condition as the day I 1st put it on.

I liked it well enough that I bought 1 for my Samurai. Both came from Ebay.

As I said before I have had the Bestop before on my Jeep CJ and it was a good top as well.

I have the Bestop Bikini Top and Saddlebags for my Samurai and they are nice. I'm not trying to sway your purchase 1 way or another. I'm just tellin you like it is from an actual owner of both companies products. (No guesswork here...)

Point is both companies manufacture well made products. It comes down to how you want to spend / save your $$$.

My vote would still be to buy a quality product for the best value that you can. You Choose...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I bought a cheap budget top for my samurai and it's about 3 years old now. windows are still crystal clear, zippers still work great. No tears or cracks, no leaks. Seams and snaps are all in perfect condition. It may not last 10 years like my bestop did, but I don't expect it to. I expect that I'll get another 2 or 3 years out of it. I don't wash it or armorall it or garage it. If I lived in a hotter desert then I might want to take better care of it or get cloth top. The weather doesn't get hot enough here to crack the vinyl and it doesn't get cold enough to freeze anything so I stick with what's cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to order a rampage with tinted windows that zips to safari style. Got a besttop right now in denim and it is a solid top.
Hope it comes in denim also but I really need the tint it's getting hot.:wacko:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine is like a heavy weather resistant treated. Rampage just came out with the Safari style this year. If it had been offered when I purchased mine I would have gotten it.

I really like the darker tint windows the made a huge temperature difference in both my Samurai and Vitara.

Enjoy your new top!

Tux... :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
My bestop is horrible I would never buy another one of those.
It leaks just about everywhere, a lot.
the front sometimes pops off while driving at higher speeds,
the roof pools up in heavy rains,
most of the buttons are busted, or just very difficult to take off,
the wind makes the roof puff upwards and slaps, (gas milage, ouch!)
the velcro is done for
the zipper is busted and doesn't fully close now
just about everything that could go wrong did..

My girlfriend says it looks gay and like a man wearing a g string.
(she hates it too) leaks on her.:eek:

if not exposed to elements probably a decent top.
saving for a hardtop now..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts