Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nice low mileage relatively cheap early SX4 out of town buy op evidently has smog fail. Mechanic said he replaced 2 O2 sensors (don't know if that's sequential in one place or one in each of 2 places) and drove 200 miles and 'monitor' still senses an O2 fault. I'm tempted to try a (perhaps substantial) discount and buy it anyway, but wonder if this is something I can estimate the cost of fixing or at least tell my mechanic what would need to be done....??!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
This is a good example of the mechanic who is deficient on diagnostics and who guesses and relies on a code reader...

... Philip

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
what codes does it have? drive cycles for smog can be a pain to get to complete, fuel must be within 1/4 and 3/4 tank the whole time.

Get the codes out of it, O2 sensors are but one part of the smog system.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
diagnosis is the key, I have seen leaks in the purge canister lines cause O2 sensor faults. You need to find out codes first. Most faults are not too bad to fix, once you know the cause. First thing is clear codes, see whats permanent then start diagnosing the underlying cause. Don't fire the parts cannon based on a code, do some digging and prove it first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts