Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the description: "1987 Suzuki samurai new tires new plugs wires cap and rotor carb kit new windshield runs good good gas mileage 24 mpg to to 28 mpg some rust new exhaust good reliable SUV could be a sweet rock crawler 4 wheel dive works perfect also fresh oil change leaks oil a little bit but it's an easy fix getting rid of it cause I'm moving to north Dakota 2,000 obo"

I texted and got some more info:
1. Asked about the oil leak and got "o ring on back of valve cover and on the timing cover" and "it is an easy fix"
2. Asked about all the mods and he just confirmed the carb and exhaust
3. The "left driver fender" has pretty good rust which I can get "for about $75"
4. He then said I could do a lift kit which be "little to no cost"
5. 168,000 miles

Is 2,000 too much? Is he padding the truth a bit?

I just had my reliable ol' car totaled (damn taxis) and am excited to grab an old manual easy/intro project. It is to hold me over this summer till the car I want comes out... or maybe I'll keep this for a bit (just to drive around this small town). Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
212 Posts
$2000 not bad ... IF ... (big If ) it is just as he says it is.
If you can get someone familiar with these little gems, to go to look at it running, with you or with out you, it will be best for you.
When ever the 'fresh oil change' card gets played be cautious...old oil can tell you lots. New oil can hide things. Drips tell you it has oil. Most drip some.
Little rust is good...lots is bad. If in the front most likely in the back too. Look inside the rear fenders, from the outside (look above the tires) as well as behind the panels inside the back over the fenders.
Look behind the plastic trim under the doors and behind the fender flares.
For a stock reasonably good shape, none altered, it would be a good platform to build a capable offroad machine. After market parts are reasonable and very prolific for every adjustment you want to make.
Know what carb is on it.
Lift kit at little or no cost...? Not if it is done right...with attention to the steering. Unless he has the parts in a box that goes with the rig, question how it is possible to do it 'little or no cost'
Some would shout at you to go get it fast...remember it is 25 years old.
There is good support on this forum no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I saw this Sammy on CL, its maybe 5 miles from my house, if you need someone to go and have a look with you I will make myself available to do so. Im not a Samurai veteran but have learned a great deal while building my almost complete DD/trail rig.

PM if you wish for some assist in this, I live between Rapid and this rig.

Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts