Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all..
I probably should have joined here long ago but I'm here now and hope to be a constructive member!!!

First up, I'm posting from Adelaide, so if there's an SA-based forum, point me to and I'll leave you fellows alone and go annoy my own kind instead. But I'm a bit under the pump and due to fly out for work at the end of this week and want to get the following underway beforehand:

My 1996 Sierra has just chewed through a Gudgeon pin (I think, clang clang clang and a bit of smoke thru exhaust) at 170 000km and i'm planning on putting it into the shop... (I live in Adelaide, South Australia, if anyone has "THE" place to go for Suzi-care+maintenance) tomorrow morning.

While its where ever I end up taking it to get it back to the bullet-proof, stock standard, A-1 rollerskate I know and love, I was thinking it was probably due time to spend a bit more coin and bump up the suspension as well. Looking at two inches or less to keep things practical/simple (not likely to be hopping any rocks in the near future).

If anyone has the time tonight I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the direction of any after market all coil suspension lift kits that I could insist on at the shop...

Otherwise, I'll be lurking around tonight and onwards if any other info is required.

Cheers,
Ben.

PS: currently trawling through old posts for info, I know this's probably been covered twenty times over, but you know....

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I really wish I had info for you, but they stopped the Samurai production for the US market in 1995 - just before they went to the coil suspension. Your 'coily' would be much easier to upgrade than our 'leafy' version...

Welcome!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I really wish I had info for you, but they stopped the Samurai production for the US market in 1995 - just before they went to the coil suspension. Your 'coily' would be much easier to upgrade than our 'leafy' version...

Welcome!
On the contrary John, leaf-sprung Sammies are easier to modify due to the wide availability of after market parts. That is specifically because they were available in the US, which is where the largest after market parts makers are. Suzuki Jimnies are not as easy to modify as Samurais because of that fact.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i recently banged up my leaf springs at the front of my sierra. im up in central queensland (australia) and i took mine to pedders (i assume pedders is down that way also)
mine already had a 2" lift, and when i took it in they actually had leaf springs set at that in stock for my sierra. all up it cost $400 for both front springs, and they said it would be a bit more for the back ones because theres more leaves (are the individual beams called?), so i assume an all round 2" lift could be done for under $1000 AUD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive been looking at a few springs of late. Some place called opposite lock does leaf springs (50mm lift) for about au$200 apair (roughly the same price front and back). Ive seen them cheaper on ebay. Dunno about their quality though.
Theres brand names like ironman and rockcrawler (i dont know if theyre any good- theyre just names to me) for 200-350 bucks a pair on a few sites. Ive seen more advertised with 50mm lift than stock.
I had a go at them and theyre easy to get on and off. So you could do it on the cheap if you had to.
cheers charlie

·
Registered
201 Posts
well ive heard that rockcrawler are the way to go if you use it for offroad driving. their springs are made of a stronger steel, so they can be made thinner without compromising the strength. advantage of that is better flexibility...
i dont know if thats exactly how it works, but thats how i understood it from the 4x4 magazine i was reading...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There was a guy on Difflock.com with a coily Samurai, I'm pretty sure that he lifted it using aftermarket Jimny springs.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Welcome!

Remember, alternator, John and I are here in the US of A where there are no "coily" Samurais! The hot (and expensive) thing to do here is to stick Samurai or Toyota solid front axles under what you call Vitaras (called Sidekicks or Trackers here) for offroading. This usually costs anywhere from $200 US (home-fabricated) to $2700 US using an aftermarket kit.

We would KILL to have a Coily Samurai here! :eek: Thus, our perspective on this topic is a bit different - as are or automobile modification laws.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Remember, alternator, John and I are here in the US of A where there are no "coily" Samurais!
Not quite accurate for me :) I'm not living in the US, and we do have the coily Sammies and Jimnies, but I opted for the leaf sprung one because it is much cheaper to modify and availability of after market parts, and I have managed an arrangement whereby I can easily order anything from the US as if I'm there. But can't manage that for Australia or South Africa.

Plus new Jimnies now have those tacky electric 4WD controls, which I hate.

And modifying the T/C on those Jimnies are usually by swapping them with Sammy T/Cs. So just buy a Sammy in the first place ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The leaf sprung SJ is OK for more hardcore stuff, as a daily driver and more gentle off road stuff I found the Jimny superior in almost every respect. The ride is far better off road too which is important for me as I suffer from back problems. Unfortunately the Jimny belonged to the g/f and went with her but I still have an SJ413 pickup and my Vitara (first gen Track/Kick).
Theres quite a lot of aftermarket support for Jimnys in the UK and Europe, their popularity is on the increase now they are becoming cheaper.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The leaf sprung SJ is OK for more hardcore stuff, as a daily driver and more gentle off road stuff I found the Jimny superior in almost every respect. The ride is far better off road too which is important for me as I suffer from back problems. Unfortunately the Jimny belonged to the g/f and went with her but I still have an SJ413 pickup and my Vitara (first gen Track/Kick).
Theres quite a lot of aftermarket support for Jimnys in the UK and Europe, their popularity is on the increase now they are becoming cheaper.
Hmmm, you're encouraging me to get a Jimny and work on it as the next project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts