Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Chevy Optra 5 which is really the RENO. GM bought Suzuki and thats why some of the new models look the same. i have attached some pics of mine and others!!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice car...but you got something wrong - GM didn't buy Suzuki. GM owns 20% of Suzuki, and Suzuki owns 1% of GM. Suzuki owns almost 20% of GMDAT (Daewoo) and GM owns the rest. That's the reason why some of their models are the same.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Oct 26 2004, 06:03 PM
I sure hope its sold under the Chevy name here in the U.S.!
Just curious, but why?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well it's the Reno...meaning not the same badge..so diffrent brand. That brand is Suzuki. It's already on the web page. You can build and price one right now. They should be at dealerships in a couple of weeks. What this about Suzuki engineering? I'm curious :huh:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Suzuki highly superior as compaired to its US and Korean(small car)counterparts...its a shame GM just didnt file these under its Geo brand. As a repeat Suzuki customer, first one being a Geo Metro, I find the rebadging of Daewoos and calling them Suzuki, some what the equivilent of rebadging Yugos and calling them Volkswagons...and America doesnt forgive the enexpensive car manufacture. For example just look and listen to the way the American public says "Geo". Suzuki has to work very hard to get to where they are now, which still isnt any where near the spotlight or on the tip of everyones tongues...and Im sorry, I know its not a popular belief, or probably even welcomed in a Reno forum...but I really think the rebadged Daewoos will diminish what little of a small car reputation Suzuki has.

Im really sorry, I had no intentions of stepping into this with yall, I just wish GM would carry this on their own...especially if they think its such a great idea.

Okay, you can start hurling rocks now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Oct 27 2004, 12:45 PM
Suzuki highly superior as compaired to its US and Korean counterparts...its a shame GM just didnt file these under its Geo brand. As a repeat Suzuki customer, first one being a Geo Metro, I find the rebadging of Daewoos and calling them Suzuki, some what the equivilent of rebadging Yugos and calling them Volkswagons...and America doesnt forgive the enexpensive car manufacture. For example just look and listen to the way the American public says "Geo". Suzuki has to work very hard to get to where they are now, which still isnt any where near the spotlight or on the tip of everyones tongues...and Im sorry, I know its not a popular belief, or probably even welcomed in a Reno forum...but I really think the rebadged Daewoos will diminish what little of a small car reputation Suzuki has.

Im really sorry, I had no intentions of stepping into this with yall, I just wish GM would carry this on their own...especially if they think its such a great idea.
Point taken, but how is Suzuki...highly superior to GM? or Hyundai,Kia, and Daewoo? Actually these cars(Daewoos) have assisted Suzuki greatly by increasing their sales over 25% this year. That is the highest number of cars they've sold since the mid-eighties. So in other words GM and Suzuki agreed that they NEEDED the help. Aerios do not sale....simple as that. I really like the Aerio..but most people (unfortunatley) don't think like me. Suzuki needed fresh product to differsify an aging product lineup.

In addition..how much do you know about Daewoo inparticular. They use bosch and delco electronics and use proven OPEL engines. The build quality of the Forenza and Reno is superior to most small cars on the market...go check it out yourself...I sh%t you not. And if the largest car manufacturer in the world (GM) suggest Suzuki needs these cars...I bet they do. The Forenza was the best selling car for Suzuki this year. Don't you find that odd.....the best selling Suzuki car isn't even a "true" Suzuki. In other words you should be happy the Koreans are here...otherwise Suzuki might be on their way out of the U.S. Market. Another oddity is how the first american SWT prepped car will not be a "true" Suzuki it's going to be the Reno. Very odd right? Not really because they know they will sell more Renos then Aerios.

You also have to think about the fact that Suzuki does directly own almost 20% of GM Daewoo so in a way...GM Daewoo really is Suzuki. Even though some off us don't like the brand integration...it actually is proven to work. Another question why the heck would GM resurrect the GEO badge? That is very, very stupid. :lol:

Once again I stress the point that Suzuki, GM probably did this as a final resort. Simply enough SUZUKI was not making a profit over here before 2004 since the nineties. They had to do something. Don't tell me how advanced Suzuki is, crude ride quality, poor emissions, and gas milage, Cheap interiors, cheap exteriors, how the heck are they any better? Just because they use a huge 4 cylinder to make a modest horsepower claim. If Daewoo integrated with Honda, maybe then you'd have a claim, but you have to remember Suzuki is number 4 in japan and number...i'm not even sure here. Suzuki has a cult following of owners who love there cars and it's quirks. Don't be a person who diminishes that. Also, if this is the overall consensus of how "true" Suzuki owners feel... my god! :blink:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Like I said I didnt want to get into this...but Suzuki has its faults, and a big fault is lack of advertising, now that they have the Woos, they are advertising the crap out of them! The Vitara commercials were almost un noticable and Ive only ever seen one Aerio commercial.

As far as the Woos accounting for 25%, are you also adding the Aveo/Swift+ to that(as well as the other GM Woos)? Cause thats not even considered Suzuki here. And if you happened across a Suzuki dealer, how many "Suzuki's did the have on the lot? Mine had nothing but Woos! And a few left overs from last year. Also worth noting, the salesman knew nothing about actual Suzukis but was well versed on Woos, appearantly had to attend several classes to be able to sell them...also worth noting, didnt the dealers get more profits off of selling Woos? So its not quite far if your playing with a loaded deck. Maybe Suzuki is getting more aggressive now that the have the Woos, maybe they should have schooled their dealers sooner about actual suzuki product. Maybe they should have done alot more.

But my original comment was on Suzuki engineering...ever pop the hood on a Suzuki? Tons of space, plenty of room and not much obstruction. The cars are simple, leave plenty of room and its plain to see whats what.

And actually I prefer Suzuki interiors and exteriors over any Korean manufacture(period).

All of your points are great financially sound improvements that will make everyone alot of money...in the short term, but wont do anything to help Suzuki establish its name as a great small car manufacturer here in the US. Daewoo was a failure here! Not unlike the Yugo! And why not sneak the Woos in under the Geo name? You knew you werent getting a Chevy, but you knew it was economical and would last...they all were good cars.

To have this discussion is one thing, but insults arent necissary. Im not a moderator, and Im not always PC or even well tempered...but you sir are a moderator and should be setting an example. This was only my opinion and I dont believe your doing your self a great service by your "true" Suzuki owner blanket statement. BTW ask a VW owner how hed feel if they(VW) rebadge Yugos! And I will save my calling your ideas stupid(even though) and wont lump the rest of the Daewoo owners in with your poor choice of words.

For the record, Im not saying that Daewoo makes bad or even poor cars. I know they have great value for the price as well as all other Korean manufactures. Actually I test drove a Verona or Forenza, I dont recall exactly, and I would have to say it had a very Buick feel to it. But nothing like a Suzuki! At all!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Oct 27 2004, 03:18 PM
Like I said I didnt want to get into this...but Suzuki has its faults, and a big fault is lack of advertising, now that they have the Woos, they are advertising the crap out of them! The Vitara commercials were almost un noticable and Ive only ever seen one Aerio commercial.

As far as the Woos accounting for 25%, are you also adding the Aveo/Swift+ to that(as well as the other GM Woos)? Cause thats not even considered Suzuki here. And if you happened across a Suzuki dealer, how many "Suzuki's did the have on the lot? Mine had nothing but Woos! And a few left overs from last year. Also worth noting, the salesman knew nothing about actual Suzukis but was well versed on Woos, appearantly had to attend several classes to be able to sell them...also worth noting, didnt the dealers get more profits off of selling Woos? So its not quite far if your playing with a loaded deck. Maybe Suzuki is getting more aggressive now that the have the Woos, maybe they should have schooled their dealers sooner about actual suzuki product. Maybe they should have done alot more.

But my original comment was on Suzuki engineering...ever pop the hood on a Suzuki? Tons of space, plenty of room and not much obstruction. The cars are simple, leave plenty of room and its plain to see whats what.

And actually I prefer Suzuki interiors and exteriors over any Korean manufacture(period).

All of your points are great financially sound improvements that will make everyone alot of money...in the short term, but wont do anything to help Suzuki establish its name as a great small car manufacturer here in the US. Daewoo was a failure here! Not unlike the Yugo! And why not sneak the Woos in under the Geo name? You knew you werent getting a Chevy, but you knew it was economical and would last...they all were good cars.

To have this discussion is one thing, but insults arent necissary. Im not a moderator, and Im not always PC or even well tempered...but you sir are a moderator and should be setting an example. This was only my opinion and I dont believe your doing your self a great service by your "true" Suzuki owner blanket statement. BTW ask a VW owner how hed feel if they(VW) rebadge Yugos! And I will save my calling your ideas stupid(even though) and wont lump the rest of the Daewoo owners in with your poor choice of words.

For the record, Im not saying that Daewoo makes bad or even poor cars. I know they have great value for the price as well as all other Korean manufactures. Actually I test drove a Verona or Forenza, I dont recall exactly, and I would have to say it had a very Buick feel to it. But nothing like a Suzuki! At all!

A speech from Mr. Suzuki himself. Click below
Mr. Suzuki

Ok, Ok! I give up. Apparently I don’t have the mental fortitude to make an objective post, and since I’m a moderator now, I guess I should not voice my opinion. I guess the Daewoo name is not synonymous with great motoring! Yet here they are! They are the saving grace for Suzuki right now. I being an owner of one of the Daewoo Suzuki cars hoped the outlook on our cars would be different from the response I am getting from you.

“As far as the Woos accounting for 25%, are you also adding the Aveo/Swift+ to that (as well as the other GM Woos)?”

I didn’t say they accounted for 25% I said sales rose 25% from the “hot” selling Forenza (Suzuki said it, not me)

A quote from the Suzuki Media website

“AMERICAN SUZUKI SALES UP 39 PERCENT IN AUGUST

American Suzuki's success comes from the rapid introduction of new products, such as its top-selling Suzuki Forenza premium compact and Suzuki Verona midsize sedan introduced late last year. Continued growth is expected due to the launch of two additional vehicles to the 2005 model year line, the five-door compact Suzuki Reno and versatile Forenza Wagon, both scheduled to arrive in showrooms this fall.”
It’s not a competition between models. I don’t care which Suzuki someone drives. BTW Here is what you said earlier.

“All of your points are great financially sound improvements that will make everyone a lot of money...in the short term, but won’t do anything to help Suzuki establish its name as a great small car manufacturer here in the US. Daewoo was a failure here! Not unlike the Yugo!”
Isn’t a car manufacture in the business to make money? If I made cars I’d like to make a little pocket change from it…wouldn’t you?

I don’t know where all the hostility came from (really I don’t). I am also assuming it would have been better focused in the Aerio forum (but that’s just me right?). I see now that in your mind the family of Suzuki is not really a family. Although we all know this (my first post was about it).

I was under the impression that members of this site would look past that and work together towards a common goal. Was I mistaken? The Daewoo’s are the corporately adopted children into an existing family. Should the owners of these models be made to feel less of an association with the Suzuki brand name? I do send a check to ASFS every month. I’m sure many Aerio, Vitara, XL-7, and Grand Vitara owners send there checks to the same address. I’m not willing to accept the opinion that my car is inferior to your car, not just in build quality, but in the right to bear the “S” logo and exist on the same lot.

The new fleets of cars are doing well…should everyone not be exited about it? They are attracting new customers and a new found since of success into an ailing organization (American Suzuki). Which will result in possibly higher resale values, more aftermarket support, and more!

I’m sure most of us are all qualified to discuss business tactics and the structural faults in the ASMC’s automotive business. I’m not and I don’t even think I am. I know I see a growth happening. My local dealership is expanding the facility. SWT is on the way. These are great things for any driver who sees a Suzuki logo on the steering wheel.

I’m so disappointed right now…I’m in a state of disbelief. I don’t care about what a VW driver thinks about re-badged Yugos…honestly because that’s not the situation here. I think if you truly loved your brand you would look favorably upon the rate of success and growth that is going on at Suzuki. It is true that the Aerio and the XL-7 are Consumer Digest best buys two years in a row…and that is great!! I’m proud to be associated with a brand that is growing and prospering. BTW the Aveo/Swift are not counted in the American Suzuki tally.

I’m done. Thanks for opening my eyes and letting ME know how out of character my behavior has been. I’ll just keep motoring along HAPPILY in my Yugo equivalent. BTW if I drove even a Yugo (by choice mind you) I would join or start a Forum site about the car. I would find more people who feel like I do, and we could share things about our car. Why sure, we’d be ridiculed and pointed at but we would be real(no joke).

Peace & Best regards,
Tim

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by Tim04+Oct 27 2004, 10:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tim04 @ Oct 27 2004, 10:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, Ok! I give up. Apparently I don’t have the mental fortitude to make an objective post, and since I’m a moderator now,[/b]

You said it, not me.

I guess the Daewoo name is not synonymous with great motoring!
Not here in AMERICA, "Yet here they are!"

I being an ownerof one of the Daewoo Suzuki cars hoped the outlook on our cars would be different from the response I am getting from you.
So what do your friends and family think about the Woos? Is everybody as enthusiastic about Daewoo as you? Are they all excited Daewoo is back from the dead here in the US? Are they already to run out and buy one of the least expensive cars available in the US...made by yet another Korean manufacuter, instead of the Japaneese car they thought they were getting from Suzuki? Are they keen on the deception? Why not just call it Daewoo? Oh yeah, they tried that...and how did that workout? Fact is Daewoo needs this more than Suzuki does....Suzuki has a name(and reputaion) here, not Daewoo!

I don’t know where all the hostility came from (really I don’t). I am also assuming it would have been better focused in the Aerio forum (but that’s just me right?). I see now that in your mind the family of Suzuki is not really a family. Although we all know this (my first post was about it).
Well heres where...

That is very, very stupid.
or...

Also, if this is the overall consensus of how "true" Suzuki owners feel... my god! blink.gif
I speak for myself and not the rest of the friggin world, so leave my fellow suzuki brothers out of it, with your blanket statements and generalizations!

And you know what, you brought this flame war on yourself...
<!--QuoteBegin-me

Im really sorry, I had no intentions of stepping into this with yall, I just wish GM would carry this on their own...especially if they think its such a great idea.[/quote]

I even appologized!!! To you and the rest of this community...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I absolutely agree with you 100%. No hard feelings bud.

Take care,
Tim

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm saying..I can see it from your point of view...and I have no beef with you. I always appreciate having a conversation with a person who has an original opinion. Not trying to moderate. This is me...my true personality.

Please don't take anything the wrong way. You did NOT make a mistake.

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts