Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with that. I got a GM alternator for a 84 Blazer, tried to fit it on my Samurai, but it was too big, it was bumping against the engine mount. What model is usually used, and how is it fitted? I want an alternator that gives at least 80 Amperes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
GM alternators!

The 10SI and 12SI are the most commonly used GM alternators on Samurais.

I have a 15SI and it's almost too big to fit!

Here is the ultimate GM Alternator thread:

GM alternator install - Zukikrawlers

...and a few others just for the heck of it:

Roadless Gear - Offroad Parts & Accessories
(figmo sells a complete kit or you can DIY with a GM alternator bracket)

and

Which GM Alternator Application

All the above links were found using the search string GM alt at Ack's FAQ! See my signature for a link to Ack's FAQ...

I hiopew this helps!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 10SI and 12SI are the most commonly used GM alternators on Samurais.

I have a 15SI and it's almost too big to fit!

Here is the ultimate GM Alternator thread:

GM alternator install - Zukikrawlers

...and a few others just for the heck of it:

Roadless Gear - Offroad Parts & Accessories
(figmo sells a complete kit or you can DIY with a GM alternator bracket)

and

Which GM Alternator Application

All the above links were found using the search string GM alt at Ack's FAQ! See my signature for a link to Ack's FAQ...

I hiopew this helps!
Thanks Ack, you're a great help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The CS130 series is a good fit and often used in more recent GM alternator conversions. They are (mostly) 105A rated, and more compact than most of the older generation alternators. They also have an internal fan plus the external. The CS130D has two internal fans, but is really a different animal (mechanically); I could not find one to fit. Cooling, or the lack if it, is the primary reason alternators fail -- none are really made to provide full output continuously.

There's a lot of information around, so spend some time researching. There's more GM alternator info at: MadElectrical
although they only discuss the older 10SI and 12Si series. A lot of Zukers make these work and they're cheap at the junkyard.

I got mine as a kit from Paul at Adventure-Off-Road on eBay, and I'm pleased with both the product and service. Some of the usual Suzuki/Samurai vendors, e.g. TrailTough, sell a bracket for the GM alternator.

A word of caution, however. Some write-ups advocate removing the fusible link. In my view, this is an exceptionally bad idea. The OEM fusible link protects the vehicle wiring from an electrical fire. Adding a high-output alternator will eventually blow the fusible link unless you run a new, separate alternator-to-battery charging wire (6ga or larger) directly to the battery (+) terminal, so that the high battery charging current bypasses the fusible link (just tape off the old output wire and don't use it). You can replace the fusible link with a fuse if you must (a 40A MAXI fuse seems about right to me), but doing without any circuit protection at all is asking for trouble. One electrical fire could ruin your whole day.

Edit: I bought a new fusible link from my dealer for $8.80 and now carry a spare.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can know exact vehicle applications of the suitable alternators, it would be really helpful.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mine is off a 1996 Cadillac Eldorado...

I think mine came out of an mid-seventies Chevrolet 1/2 ton pick-up truck.

The SI's are found in LOTSs of different GM vehicles from the mid- or early-90s back. It's an "eyeball' kind of search - look for the tin - can shape of the alternator in the donor car and start wrenching. If you find one (pics are in the first thread in my first post), note the model and year (copy down the vehicle's VIN and do a VIN search). This information allows you to use the salvaged alternator as a core (save money!) for a new one if the salvaged unit turns out to be a dud.

I hope that htis helps!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In our reagion we don't get all GM vehicles. Mid seventies pickup is what I tested with, and it was way too big. Bill's Caddie is not available in our region. But I read the Camaro has it, and we get that here, but quite rare. Is there any stamp or writing on the alternator that shows what SI is it?

The most common old chevy's we have are Caprice, Blazers and Suburbans. We also get some Pontiacs (Roadmaster), some old caddies like 94 STS, etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
outta curiosity, what other alternators big enough for a dual battery system fit in a samurai without too much hassle?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
since a dual battery setup is there to provide extra power for running things like Winches and compressors it enables you to use a SMALLER alternator since your alternator has that backup power to draw on in a pinch. You can recharge a !2V car battery with a couple amps, so unless you are running something full time that draws heavily off of that battery, you don't really need a giant alternator for it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
since a dual battery setup is there to provide extra power for running things like Winches and compressors it enables you to use a SMALLER alternator since your alternator has that backup power to draw on in a pinch. You can recharge a !2V car battery with a couple amps, so unless you are running something full time that draws heavily off of that battery, you don't really need a giant alternator for it.
What about a winch? I emagine a winch needs a high amp alternator, don't you think?

·
Registered
193 Posts
What about a winch? I imagine a winch needs a high amp alternator, don't you think?
A winch can easily draw 400 Amps, and for quite a while. That's really hard duty for a starting battery. Even a 100A alternator cannot keep up, but it's a lot better than the stock 45A alt. That's why a some winchers choose dual batteries. They need at least one good battery to get started. If you're going to install a winch and actually use it, give serious thought to getting a true deep-cycle battery, like an Optima yellow-top or other AGM style. An AGM deep-cycle battery will do a fine job of spinning up the Samurai starter when it's time to go home.

Edit: OEM alternator output current is 45A or 50A ('90 and later), although much less at idle. I measured my starter current at 155A on a cold engine on a warm So. Cal. day.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A winch can easily draw 400 Amps, and for quite a while. That's really hard duty for a starting battery. Even a 100A alternator cannot keep up, but it's a lot better than the stock 35A alt. That's why a some winchers choose dual batteries. They need at least one good battery to get started. If you're going to install a winch and actually use it, give serious thought to getting a true deep-cycle battery, like an Optima yellow-top or other AGM style. An AGM deep-cycle battery will do a fine job of spinning up the Samurai starter when it's time to go home.
I have a 3.5 ton Warn winch on my Toyota Fortuner, which has an 80 Amp alternator and battery, and it does very well with it. I've done serious winching with it without any problems. That's why I want to upgrade my Samurai alternator.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wincup was asking about what alternator upgrade for a dual battery setup. If he has a winch, that's probably why he has the dual battery. The stock Alternator is fine if you have a second battery preferably deep cycle for running high draw electrics for short periods of time. I was answering his question with that post you quoted me on.

that wasn't an answer to your question Alternator. If you have a winch and don't have a second battery that's when you need to upgrade to a bigger alternator. You aren't going to be able to put a load on a good size winch with the stock alternator and one battery... unless you want to destroy your battery and fry your alternator. Other reasons for upgrading the alternator is for on-board stick welders where 12v DC isn't going to cut it. So yeah, YOU do have a reason for upgrading the alternator... Wincup, however, doesn't need a larger alternator just because he's running 2 batteries.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while and I think I'll put my two cents worth in. I have been running a dual battery setup in my Drover (Sierra) for quite a few years now. A deep cycle battery is the way to go for the auxiliary but keep in mind that just about all the modern isolators will give priority charge to the main battery before any charge goes to the auxiliary battery. If you connect a winch to the aux battery it will be discharged in record time when you have to use the winch as the isolator will make sure the main battery is being charged first.

I believe nearly all the electric winch manufacturers recommend the winch be connected to the main battery for the reason stated above. As for upgrading the alternator I ditched the original and installed a heavy duty 60amp alternator and have had no problems with charging or running all my electrics including my fridge. I do have photos of my dual battery setup if someone can tell me how to post them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been following this thread for a while and I think I'll put my two cents worth in. I have been running a dual battery setup in my Drover (Sierra) for quite a few years now. A deep cycle battery is the way to go for the auxiliary but keep in mind that just about all the modern isolators will give priority charge to the main battery before any charge goes to the auxiliary battery. If you connect a winch to the aux battery it will be discharged in record time when you have to use the winch as the isolator will make sure the main battery is being charged first.

I believe nearly all the electric winch manufacturers recommend the winch be connected to the main battery for the reason stated above. As for upgrading the alternator I ditched the original and installed a heavy duty 60amp alternator and have had no problems with charging or running all my electrics including my fridge. I do have photos of my dual battery setup if someone can tell me how to post them.

Thanks footloose. You can attach the photos directly to your message, just click on "Manage Attachments" in "Attach Files" field.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts